Disabled son and care legalities. — Scope | Disability forum
New to the community? Remember to read our community guidelines and our community house rules.
Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Find out how to let us know.

Disabled son and care legalities.

feir Member Posts: 395 Pioneering
I need to arrange for care for my son. He has learning difficulties and aspergers. He is a good kid overall, good set of ethics and not violent so easy to handle, but the time has come now for him to be looked after by somebody else.
What legal things do i need to sort out and should i consider residential care or another carer (like myself) to just be his family for him? I've got the 2nd one sorted out, just nothing legal in place. Wondering if residential car would allow him to be more independent, but if SS run it then i'll give that a miss coz they're ****.


  • Topkitten
    Topkitten Member Posts: 1,285 Pioneering
    I agree that SS are awful but you will almost certainly need an assessment from them. An Occupational Therapy assessment will likely also be needed but for that he needs to be assessed in whatever location he will inhabit. You should approach his GP about how to get this started I think and also any specialists he is under at the moment. All this assumes you will need the state to cover some or all of the costs. However, if that is the case, you are likely to get resistance from them to you not just keeping things as they are as it is easier and cheaper for them to keep things as they are now.

    Reading that last sentence back I'm not sure if it makes sense. I'm not at my best at the moment, sorry.

    "I'm on the wrong side of heaven and the righteous side of hell" - from Wrong side of heaven by Five Finger Death Punch.
  • feir
    feir Member Posts: 395 Pioneering
    It made sense yes, and thanks. That he probably should stay with me because they are unlikely to fund anything else for him.

    My son is ok with going to live with someone else as part of their family, we have discussed this. I think because he is 18 (so legally an adult) but has learning difficulties (so maybe not legally an adult? Idk) then i'm not sure what step is next. I can't afford a solicitor unfortunately so stuck relying on google for info. I'm legally responsible for his affairs still despite him being an adult.

    Still waiting on occupational therapy to come and sort me out, got referred months ago and not seen anything of them. Think i'll definitely leave SS out of things as they're slow, underfunded anyway, and usually have made our situations worse overall when used previously.


Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.

Fancy a chat in our virtual coffee lounge?

Put the kettle on and have a chat in our coffee lounge with other members. We talk about hobbies, games and anything else you can think of!

Cerebral Palsy (CP) Online Cafe

Here's a new opportunity for people with CP or a similar disability (aged 20+) to get together and chat. The sessions are in partnership with CP Sport so you can find out more and meet people from both organisations.

Are you struggling?

Read our 'Coping with stress, low mood and isolation' support thread for a run-down of ideas on how to banish those blues and feel happier.

What do you think about the community?

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community a better space for you.

Information about COVID-19

If you have questions about the virus, please read our information and support which includes guidance on benefits, getting food and essentials and Cerebral Palsy.

Back to school this September?

Read tips on how to settle back in and handle any worries you or your children might be having this new term.