Reasonable Adjustments — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Reasonable Adjustments

Options
honeysuckle123
honeysuckle123 Community member Posts: 4 Listener
Hi, i was looking for guidance. 

I have Rheumatoid Arthritis. Out of the blue, my employer has removed the reasonable adjustments that i had in place for flexible working during a flare up without warning. I only used the flexible working a few times a year and always worked my hours back. is it against disability laws to remove reasonable adjustment without warning or discussion about my needs in relation to my disability. Ive has a occupation review since this happened and they suggested the reasonable adjustments be reinstated but my employer has not yet done this. 

Any help would be great thanks

Comments

• honeysuckle123
    Options
    Thanks so much for your advice.i have a grievance in at the mo due to the removal of my RA without warning and managers conduct during the meeting. As far as I was aware from what I was told this was all written down and and in place for 2 years, it was never reviewed however in my appraisal meetings it was written that I had used it for however many days over the quarter. I only use it for flareups, but during this meeting it was said that I wasn't entitled to RA and and RA that was in place was a favour to me and something they are unwilling to do any further. Prior to the flexible working being in place I was off work on long term sick and in and out of work over the two years whilst I was sorted a steady medication. I returned in Jan but every time I returned back to work it was confirmed that I still could use the RA as a way for me not to use sick leave for a disability related issue. I requested several times for a another occ review for some further support during the last 2 year's but each time i was told it was unnecessary and it was refused. I know morally I have a foot to stand on but I'm worried whether legally the company did something wrong in the way they handled this. Thanks so much for your response
  • honeysuckle123
    Options
    Luckily i have kept emails confirming it so fingers crossed the grievance process resolves in my favour 
  • Stella_10
    Stella_10 Community member Posts: 7 Listener
    Options
    Some what same happened to me too. I have RA and company asked me to OH. Report came positive but they are not agreeing and also taking decision by overruling the report . 
  • Zaid_Alumni
    Zaid_Alumni Community member Posts: 66 Courageous
    Options
    Hi @honeysuckle123 have you had any progress with this issue since July? Like @Username_removed (who has given you some top notch advice by the way), I am puzzled by the employer's failure to include you in reviewing your agreed RA's and by their refusal to implement the advice of the OH review. 

I would suggest union involvement as soon as possible and contacting ACAS (http://www.acas.org.uk) to get a resolution on this. 

Do keep us updated on how it is going.

Zaid
    Scope Employment Advisor
    Phone: 0300 222 5742
    Email: supporttowork@scope.org.uk
    www.scope.org.uk/supporttowork

• honeysuckle123
    Options
    Hi, yes I won my grievance and all RA were reinstated. They admitted they treated me differently to other employee and apologised. I'm now to go back in the next week onto a new department. Thanks for your advice Mike 
  • Zaid_Alumni
    Zaid_Alumni Community member Posts: 66 Courageous
    Options
    @honeysuckle123 what fantastic news! Such a shame you had to be put through all that stress over such a clear-cut case of discrimination, but a great result. My thanks to @Username_removed as well. Great result. 

Zaid
    Scope Employment Advisor
    Phone: 0300 222 5742
    Email: supporttowork@scope.org.uk
    www.scope.org.uk/supporttowork

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.