Reasonable Adjustments — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Reasonable Adjustments

Options
honeysuckle123
honeysuckle123 Community member Posts: 4 Listener
Hi, i was looking for guidance. 

I have Rheumatoid Arthritis. Out of the blue, my employer has removed the reasonable adjustments that i had in place for flexible working during a flare up without warning. I only used the flexible working a few times a year and always worked my hours back. is it against disability laws to remove reasonable adjustment without warning or discussion about my needs in relation to my disability. Ive has a occupation review since this happened and they suggested the reasonable adjustments be reinstated but my employer has not yet done this. 

Any help would be great thanks

Comments

• honeysuckle123
    Options
    Thanks so much for your advice.i have a grievance in at the mo due to the removal of my RA without warning and managers conduct during the meeting. As far as I was aware from what I was told this was all written down and and in place for 2 years, it was never reviewed however in my appraisal meetings it was written that I had used it for however many days over the quarter. I only use it for flareups, but during this meeting it was said that I wasn't entitled to RA and and RA that was in place was a favour to me and something they are unwilling to do any further. Prior to the flexible working being in place I was off work on long term sick and in and out of work over the two years whilst I was sorted a steady medication. I returned in Jan but every time I returned back to work it was confirmed that I still could use the RA as a way for me not to use sick leave for a disability related issue. I requested several times for a another occ review for some further support during the last 2 year's but each time i was told it was unnecessary and it was refused. I know morally I have a foot to stand on but I'm worried whether legally the company did something wrong in the way they handled this. Thanks so much for your response
  • honeysuckle123
    Options
    Luckily i have kept emails confirming it so fingers crossed the grievance process resolves in my favour 
  • Stella_10
    Stella_10 Community member Posts: 7 Listener
    Options
    Some what same happened to me too. I have RA and company asked me to OH. Report came positive but they are not agreeing and also taking decision by overruling the report . 
  • Zaid_Alumni
    Zaid_Alumni Community member Posts: 66 Courageous
    Options
    Hi @honeysuckle123 have you had any progress with this issue since July? Like @Username_removed (who has given you some top notch advice by the way), I am puzzled by the employer's failure to include you in reviewing your agreed RA's and by their refusal to implement the advice of the OH review. 

I would suggest union involvement as soon as possible and contacting ACAS (http://www.acas.org.uk) to get a resolution on this. 

Do keep us updated on how it is going.

Zaid
    Scope Employment Advisor
    Phone: 0300 222 5742
    Email: supporttowork@scope.org.uk
    www.scope.org.uk/supporttowork

• honeysuckle123
    Options
    Hi, yes I won my grievance and all RA were reinstated. They admitted they treated me differently to other employee and apologised. I'm now to go back in the next week onto a new department. Thanks for your advice Mike 
  • Zaid_Alumni
    Zaid_Alumni Community member Posts: 66 Courageous
    Options
    @honeysuckle123 what fantastic news! Such a shame you had to be put through all that stress over such a clear-cut case of discrimination, but a great result. My thanks to @Username_removed as well. Great result. 

Zaid
    Scope Employment Advisor
    Phone: 0300 222 5742
    Email: supporttowork@scope.org.uk
    www.scope.org.uk/supporttowork

Brightness