ESA AND STATE PENSION — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.


HeatherA Member Posts: 1 Listener
I receive contribution based ESA Support Group. I retired on health grounds.  I reach state pension age next week. Do I need to inform ESA or does it automatically stop whe I receive my State Pension?


  • wilko
    wilko Member Posts: 2,457 Disability Gamechanger
    Theology HeatherA, welcome I think you will find you will get your state pension and your ESA will stop and I expect you will have to claim  pension credit, but it won't do any harm to ring DWPmand ask what happens regarding your ESA when you start getting your pension. They may point you in the right direction other wise call you n at your local CAB.Happy retirement. 
  • despondent
    despondent Member Posts: 88 Connected
    edited July 2018
    Hi HeatherA, the government are suppose to send you a letter a few months before your retirement outlining your pension and what you will get. Are you sure that you are meant to retire next week? The Governent have over the last few years constantly changed the retirement age for both men and woman. I was meant to retire at 60 now it is 67. check out what your retirement age is by clicking this link.

    if you are due to retire next week then contact the DWP as previously advised and find out your entitlements. A good thing is you will not longer have to have Mandatory fit for work interviews.
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Scope Posts: 10,545 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @HeatherA and welcome to the community! I hope you get the answers you are looking for :)

  • atlas46
    atlas46 Member Posts: 826 Pioneering

    You should have had a letter about 4 months before your retirement date.

    You should contact them, to find out what is going on. Tel: 0800 731 7898.


Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.