ESA AND STATE PENSION — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

ESA AND STATE PENSION

Options
HeatherA
HeatherA Community member Posts: 1 Listener
I receive contribution based ESA Support Group. I retired on health grounds.  I reach state pension age next week. Do I need to inform ESA or does it automatically stop whe I receive my State Pension?

Comments

• wilko
    wilko Community member Posts: 2,458 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Theology HeatherA, welcome I think you will find you will get your state pension and your ESA will stop and I expect you will have to claim  pension credit, but it won't do any harm to ring DWPmand ask what happens regarding your ESA when you start getting your pension. They may point you in the right direction other wise call you n at your local CAB.Happy retirement. 
  • despondent
    despondent Community member Posts: 88 Connected
    edited July 2018
    Options
    Hi HeatherA, the government are suppose to send you a letter a few months before your retirement outlining your pension and what you will get. Are you sure that you are meant to retire next week? The Governent have over the last few years constantly changed the retirement age for both men and woman. I was meant to retire at 60 now it is 67. check out what your retirement age is by clicking this link.

if you are due to retire next week then contact the DWP as previously advised and find out your entitlements. A good thing is you will not longer have to have Mandatory fit for work interviews.
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @HeatherA and welcome to the community! I hope you get the answers you are looking for :)
    Scope

• atlas46
    atlas46 Community member Posts: 826 Pioneering
    Options
    Hi

You should have had a letter about 4 months before your retirement date.

You should contact them, to find out what is going on. Tel: 0800 731 7898.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.