Hi, i'm after some advice about my girlfriend moving in with me — Scope | Disability forum
Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.

Hi, i'm after some advice about my girlfriend moving in with me

toki Member Posts: 3 Listener
hi i'm after some advice please, 
basically i am in receipt of ESA (support group) and my girlfriend has been left in her parents council bungalow , her parents have both sadly passed away this year and she got left in that bungalow but as the tenancy had already gone from her mum to her dad she isn't allowed the tenancy there so will be booted out at some point.
My gf was involved in an RTA she got ran over and is in ill health herself,  she was originally a full time carer for her parents in receipt of carers allowance and income support, but is now on universal credit and awaiting her medical for the disability element of it apparently ESA isn't a thing around here anymore? we want to move in together into my privately rented house, and i cant get a definitive answer from the job centre and CAB just tell me effectively to google it, ive not been able to find this EXACT situation online. My main question is if we move in together will I be moved from ESA support to universal credit then have to wait months (like my gf) to get the disability element she also had a nightmare getting housing benefit sorted for where she is now, would my housing benefit be affected? 
I apologise for the long question and hope it makes sense, we are both quite stressed by everything she is going through and potentially what i could end up going through which is making us both a lot worse health wise. 
kind regards.


  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Scope Posts: 10,557 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @toki I imagine this is a very stressful time for you and your partner!
    I hope the community is able to offer some advice. In the meantime, have you tried contacting Scope's helpline? The number is: 0808 800 3333
    Very best of luck!

  • Ripples
    Ripples Member Posts: 189 Pioneering
    edited July 2018
    @toki The straight answer is that if your girlfriend moves in with you then you can claim as a couple using your existing claim. When this does happen you have to notify of a change of circumstances. Your claim for ESA won't change until you have another assessment or you are migrated to UC.  What this means is just to be clear is that you will still be in the support group and claiming ESA and the things that will change are that you will be claiming as a couple and get the couple's allowance.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 273 Pioneering
    Hi toki

    Ripples is right unless you only have contributory ESA.

    If you only have contributory ESA, not topped up by income-related ESA, and you live in a full service Universal credit (UC) area, then your new income-related benefit claim, including your girlfriend, would have to be a universal credit claim.

    If you are  already claiming income-related  ESA, then you can report your girlfriend's moving in with you as a change of circumstances, and you will stay on ESA for now. Her universal credit will stop. It isn't an option for her to make an ESA claim for you both if you are in a full service UC - she would just be advised to claim UC as a couple. 

    Do phone the helpline if you are confused. 

    Tel: 0808 800 3333


Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.