Today, You Beat Me - a poem about chronic pain
Today, You beat me,
I woke with You again
Wrapped about my back like a lover,
Pulling at my limbs
My shoulders splayed
My joints pulled with gravity.
Today, You never let up.
I tried to lose You
But You brashly force out the monster,
The worst version of myself
Cross and bitter,
My loved ones suffer.
Today, You rob me.
My time is destroyed,
I cannot sit and idle in peace
For my body betrays me,
As you are with me
Within, trapping me.
Today, You beat me.
My body is weakened
And tears have fallen as spirit breaks.
So, so tired, no way back
I am bereft.
Pain, You have won.
Can you relate to Claire’s experiences? We’re discussing chronic pain on the community this week, so feel free to ask any questions and share your own stories too.
- 53K All Categories
- 10.4K Start here and say hello!
- 4.8K Coffee lounge
- 4K Disability rights and campaigning
- 1.5K Research and opportunities to get involved in
- 149 Community updates
- 12K Talk about your situation
- 1.8K Children, parents, and families
- 759 Work and employment
- 577 Education
- 1.1K Housing, transport, and independent living
- 1K Aids, adaptations, and equipment
- 277 Dating, sex, and relationships
- 264 Exercise and accessible facilities
- 21.2K Talk about money
- 2.1K Benefits and financial support
- 4.4K Employment and Support Allowance (ESA)
- 12.3K PIP, DLA, and AA
- 2.4K Universal Credit (UC)
- 4K Talk about your impairment
- 1.3K Cerebral palsy
- 676 Chronic pain and pain management
- 700 Rare, invisible, and undiagnosed conditions
- 751 Autism and neurodiversity
- 928 Mental health and wellbeing
- 298 Sensory impairments