Pip and epilepsy — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Pip and epilepsy

Betty1952
Betty1952 Community member Posts: 5 Listener
edited July 2018 in PIP, DLA, and AA
I'm going to an appeal my daughter she has epilepsy and doesn't no when she is going to have one she was getting dal but changed over to pip could anybody give me any advice on this please she is so worried about going she's thinking of forgetting it this is making her worse and I'm so worried about her need advice on what happens next thankyou 

Comments

• Waylay
    Waylay Community member, Scope Member Posts: 973 Pioneering
    I'd take a look at epilepsy websites.
  • markyboy
    markyboy Community member Posts: 367 Pioneering
    If you take PIP to the appeal stage you can put your case on paper and ask them to make a decision on that alone so you would not need to attend the hearing
    I have had 2 tribunals in my time on PIP the first i attended and lost and the 2nd i did not attend and won but PIP is a lottery
  • Liam_Alumni
    Liam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 1,101 Pioneering
    Hi @Betty1952,

Citizens Advice has a useful page on appealing a DWP benefits decision, and we have a page on our website with videos on different stages of the appeals process which you might find useful. I hope these help! :)
    Liam
  • BenefitsTrainingCo
    BenefitsTrainingCo Community member Posts: 2,621 Pioneering
    Betty1952,

The important thing for the appeal is to be clear about what points your daughter should have got and why. Remember that if she can't do something safely then she should get points for not being able to do it. If an activity is only safe with supervision, she should get points for needing supervision.

You can use the PIP self-test with her to get an idea of what she should have scored.

It's great if you can write something to send to the tribunal explaining what you think she should have got and why (linking the points to evidence) but it isn't essential.

Another really good guide to PIP appeals is the one from Advice Now which you can download for free. Remember that the tribunal are there to help make sure your daughter gets the right award. I'd recommend that she goes along because statistically, she is more likely to get a good result that way. You can go with her and the tribunal clerks are very good at explaining what will happen. 

I'd really encourage you not to give up as many PIP decisions are changed at appeal.

Will
    The Benefits Training Co:

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.