Hi, my name is Cathsl!young mum of disabled child — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Hi, my name is Cathsl!young mum of disabled child

Options
Cathsl
Cathsl Community member Posts: 1 Listener
Hi, i was a young mum of 17 when i had my son, after a battle with the Dr's(knowing that he was not focusing etc) he was diagnosed as totally blind eventually and other health issues including asbergers. Both me and my family have struggled through the last 20 yrs with little support from social services but we have made it, he is in supported living, still comes home at weekends but is now a well rounded, gaining confidence, 20 yr old man!
I cant promise i can help anyone as there is no one answer to anything but i would like any knowledge and understanding i have to be put to good use!!
Cath xx

Comments

• thara
    thara Posts: 49 Courageous
    Options
    I’m a young mom to a non disabled and disabled child as well. I was 19 when I gave birth to my two mischief makers (yes I call them that) in 2016. Congratulations. I have a few questions to ask you. Do you have any words of advice for navigating DLA? What tips would you give to nervous moms of newly diagnosed children with any special educational needs or physical disability? What did you have to do in order to get a diagnosis for your son? What was the day to day life like? Like how difficult was it? How do you cope with the appointments for him? Any tips on surviving the hospital? 
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @Cathsl and a warm welcome to the community. Thank you for taking the time to share this with the community! You may find the parents and carers, ASD and visual and hearing impairments board particularly interesting :)

Scope

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.