UC but no payments — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.

UC but no payments

jimhunter122 Member Posts: 1 Listener
edited July 2018 in Universal Credit (UC)
I have had to leave my job and sign on for UC in January 2018. I am unable to work due to a heart condition. I get no payment from UC. My wife works 28hrs per week. I have to attend at my local dole office regularly even though I get no money. What really annoys me is they insist my wife also attends the dole office also even though this means she has to take time off work. We are both in our 60's and think this is totally out of order. What do they expect from my wife? One person we saw told us my wife needs to look for more hours or try and get a second job, otherwise I will be penalised. PENALISED FOR WHAT??? How are they going to penalise us, take away the money we are NOT getting !!!!! We get nothing, no tax credits, no housing benefit, absolutely nothing. We feel we are being treated like scum. I am feeling suicidal. I feel I'm just a burden.


  • Richard_Scope
    Richard_Scope Posts: 3,176 Scope online community team
    Hi @jimhunter122

    I'm so sorry to hear that you're feeling this way. You are a member of our community and we appreciate you and you are not a burden!. 

    Here is a link to the What benefits am I entitled to? Discussions. Have you been in touch with your local Citizens Advice Bureau (CAB)?

    If you are having thoughts of suicide, it is important that you discuss them with someone who is qualified to help. Please call the Samaritans on 116 123 (free) or email them at [email protected]. You might also benefit from reading MIND’s information on how you can help yourself

    Specialist Information Officer and Cerebral Palsy Programme Lead

    'Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

    Want to tell us about your experience in the community? Talk to our chatbot and let us know. 
  • thespiceman
    thespiceman Member Posts: 6,389 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello @jimhunter122   Pleased to meet you I do not understand why have signed on to Universal Credit.

    I am curious I thought if you are sick and ill from leaving your job, due to heart complaint. Then you needed to get a benefit for sickness. Such as ESA or PIP.

    Also go to your Doctor get him to support your claim.  I do not understand the need to sign on. If having heart complaint.

    Your wife works but even so I do think you need to speak to some one like CAB.  Welfare rights.

    May I suggest have a look at the DWP website for qualifying criteria as well.

    One of the team have given you excellent advice.

    May I add you are important member of our community. No one wants to see you hurt and harm yourself I am concerned.

    You need to talk to some one who can help. Need some to fight your corner and give you support. This is what the community can offer.

    We are all hear to listen and give you the best advice. One of the team has already done that.

    Please can I suggest look on line for other support you might need or consult your GP . They have a range of services that can benefit you.

    One final point it is sometimes very difficult to admit still want to work but ill. Understand I had this myself one time and got my self stressed to find work. In reality mentally and physically can not work.

    Not easy at all.

    Please take care

    Community Champion
    SCOPE Volunteer Award Engaging Communities 2019
    Mental Health advice, guidance and information to all members
    Nutrition, Diet, Wellbeing, Addiction.


Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.