Advice needed sorry if it's been asked before — Scope | Disability forum
Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.

Advice needed sorry if it's been asked before

jama17 Member Posts: 1 Listener
Sorry if it's been asked nunernnu times but eveeyone is different so I'm asking for my own situation 
I have basically been working almost my life I'm 34 now I have had addiction problems previously but didn't really know or want to admit it now I came out of work last September and basically have had to go to a treatment clinic and have been on methadone and diazepam since I also have been diagnosed with depression and anxiety and was getting anti depressants but I was handing sicknotes in but the depression became so bad and still is I literally can't get out of bed and just thinking of having to go somewhere like a simple trip to Asda triggers my anxiety to the point I don't go I hate life ATM and just sleep as much as I can I don't enjoy food or speaking to friends and basically since November just been in my bedroom ,I want to work but due to my medication I cant work on building sites as I did so how can I go about getting on pip as I'm currently on universal credit but I can't seek work even though I want to more than anything I'm just a wreck ATM and getting up and out to the doctor's is near impossible for me I'm at a loss ???
Any ideas where to start TIA


  • April2018mom
    April2018mom Posts: 2,868 Connected
    Welcome to the community!! 

    Start by doing a self assessment online. Once you have answered all the questions you should then call the DWP to begin your claim. Ask your doctors for a copy of form DS1500. Either fhey will complete the paperwork on your behalf or ask you to do it. You’ll also get a form to use to tell them about your disability and what you struggle with. Read the questions carefully beforehand. Here is a guide to the questions- 

    If there are any notes please also look at them. Think about how much your disability impacts your day to day life. There are lots of websites that can help you with the process. It’s worth using one of them as well. Next you will either be asked to come to a meeting or your social worker might be required to send additional information. If you are told to attend a meeting read the advice on getting ready for the assessment- 

    Keep us updated. If you are able to do so record the assessment. Ask if you are allowed to film the assessment. And take notes at the same time. Good luck!! 

  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Member Posts: 28,340 Disability Gamechanger
    Welcome to the community!! 

     Ask your doctors for a copy of form DS1500. Either fhey will complete the paperwork on your behalf or ask you to do it.

    That form is for those with a terminal illness that have 6 months or less left to live, so this isn't the form that is needed here. A GP, Consultant etc can only fill out this form under these circumstances.

    For PIP it's not a meeting you're asked to attend, it's a face to face assessment. During this the claimant will be asked how their condition affects them. PIP isn't about a diagnosis, it's how your conditions affect you daily.

    They very rarely ask anyone for evidence, the onus is always on the claimant to make sure it's sent to support their claim.

    I'd advice getting help from CAB or the likes with filling out the forms because they are rather complex.

    To record the assessment you must get permission at least 48 hours before. You must also record 2 identical copies on either tape or CD (phones/ etc aren't allowed) One copy must be handed in at the end of the assessment.

    Complete the online PIP self test here, to see what you could possible score. It's only a guide and evidence will be needed.

  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Member Posts: 28,340 Disability Gamechanger
    You can't film the assessment but you can voice record it with permission.


Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.