Employment and Support Allowance (ESA)
If this is your first visit, check out the community guide. You will have to Join us or Sign in before you can post.

Look at my claim for ESA

I have received a letter regarding mine and my husbands savings, what do I loose in the way of ESA if we have over £16000, I have never been asked these questions before - :(  

Replies

• poppy123456poppy123456 Member Posts: 22,218 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi,
    If you claim Income Related ESA then savings and capital over £6,000 you lose £1 for every £250 over. Savings/capital over £16,000 means you're not entitled to any means tested benefits like ESA, Housing benefit and council tax reduction.

Contribution based ESA doesn't affect savings/capital. Do you have a joint ESA claim or is it just your claim?

Proud winner of the 2019 empowering others award. This award was given for supporting disabled people and their families for the benefit advice I have given to members here on the community.
  • Densilna58Densilna58 Member Posts: 3 Listener
    Just my own and have not claimed ESA, I presume it has just been changed automatically from what ever it was before, I have been registered disabled for over 15 years
  • Densilna58Densilna58 Member Posts: 3 Listener
    I don't claim housing benefit or council tax as I am not eligble
  • poppy123456poppy123456 Member Posts: 22,218 Disability Gamechanger
    edited August 2018
    Just my own and have not claimed ESA, I presume it has just been changed automatically from what ever it was before, I have been registered disabled for over 15 years
    Do you mean Incapacity benefit? If so then this no longer exists and everyone that was claiming it was transfered over to ESA several years ago. Does your husband work more than 24 hours per week? If so then it's Contribution based ESA that you're claiming and savings/capital do not affect this.
    Proud winner of the 2019 empowering others award. This award was given for supporting disabled people and their families for the benefit advice I have given to members here on the community.
Sign in or join us to comment.