Look at my claim for ESA — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Look at my claim for ESA

Options
Densilna58
Densilna58 Community member Posts: 3 Listener
I have received a letter regarding mine and my husbands savings, what do I loose in the way of ESA if we have over £16000, I have never been asked these questions before - :(  

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,056 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi,
    If you claim Income Related ESA then savings and capital over £6,000 you lose £1 for every £250 over. Savings/capital over £16,000 means you're not entitled to any means tested benefits like ESA, Housing benefit and council tax reduction.

Contribution based ESA doesn't affect savings/capital. Do you have a joint ESA claim or is it just your claim?

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Densilna58
    Options
    Just my own and have not claimed ESA, I presume it has just been changed automatically from what ever it was before, I have been registered disabled for over 15 years
  • Densilna58
    Options
    I don't claim housing benefit or council tax as I am not eligble
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,056 Disability Gamechanger
    edited August 2018
    Options
    Just my own and have not claimed ESA, I presume it has just been changed automatically from what ever it was before, I have been registered disabled for over 15 years
    Do you mean Incapacity benefit? If so then this no longer exists and everyone that was claiming it was transfered over to ESA several years ago. Does your husband work more than 24 hours per week? If so then it's Contribution based ESA that you're claiming and savings/capital do not affect this.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.