Home Disabled Bay — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.

Home Disabled Bay

(Sorry if this is in the wrong category, but I wasn't sure where to post it)

Does anyone know how to go about getting a sisabled bay outside their house?
the street we live on has terrible parking, there's literally a line of cars all up the road, but I tried looking online, and as far as I can tell, our local council (Nottingham) doesn't offer the service, although there are 3 disabled bays in our area (2 on our road itself) so I'm not actually sure if it's possible?


  • Trekster
    Trekster Member Posts: 14 Connected
    Slightly related unsure if it affects you


    November 2016 at least your council did not provide an advisory disabled bay. 
  • wilko
    wilko Member Posts: 2,457 Disability Gamechanger
    You will have to contact your local council and request a parking space. When I enquired for myself I was told the council has to send a person to check if it's safe and reasonable to have one plus as the council like all councils are strapped for cash it would cost me £250 and it is only advisory it is not solely for your own personal use any other motorists can park in the space disabled or not. The only exception if a parking only for blue badge holders is posted on a post next to parking bay which is mostly unlikely.
  • Jean_OT
    Jean_OT Member Posts: 513 Pioneering
    Hi @Androgen

    Unfortunately it does appear that Nottingham Council doesn't offer advisory disabled parking bays. Here is a story about a woman who came up with her own creative solution and paid the price: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-nottinghamshire-37955436

    It won't help with this issue but thought I'd also mention that as a resident of Nottinghamshire you have the option to use an excellent local disability information service: http://www.disabilitynottinghamshire.org.uk/

    Best Wishes


    Jean Merrilees BSc MRCOT

    You can read more of my posts at: https://community.scope.org.uk/categories/ask-an-occupational-therapist

  • exdvr
    exdvr Member Posts: 331 Pioneering

    Hi @Androgen,

    Unfortunately it is not permitted to claim any part of public roadway for your own exclusive use, even a clearly marked disabled space.  Any disabled space can be used by anyone holding a blue badge.  The only way round your problem is to somehow gain legal ownership of that particular piece of land, and that I'm afraid would be virtually impossible.  Sorry if this is no real help to you but that is I'm afraid a fact of life that we all have to cope with.

    Best wishes.


  • Androgen
    Androgen Member Posts: 71 Connected
    Unfortunately that special access scheme doesn't run anywhere near where we live, so it's no use, we did look into it

    Also we weren't trying to claim the parking space as ours, just trying to increase our chances of parking near the house (parking on this street is bad enough that people are driving over the pavelent to park on patches of grass) but as we rent the house, not own it, I imagine it will be difficult to try and request permission to turn the front garden into a driveway (especially since we live on a hill, so the front would need to be flattened to street level)
  • thespiceman
    thespiceman Member Posts: 6,389 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello @Androgen   Understand this issue. I live in a place really tight to park and not much room. Have problems every time. 

    I agree with what has been said. 

    Unfortunately if you get a disabled space could be used by any body who is disabled and has a blue badge. Not for your own use.

    Community Champion
    SCOPE Volunteer Award Engaging Communities 2019
    Mental Health advice, guidance and information to all members
    Nutrition, Diet, Wellbeing, Addiction.
  • Androgen
    Androgen Member Posts: 71 Connected
    We're not trying to claim it as a personal space, it's just to increase the chances of parking near the house, as we live at the top of a hill, so if we can't park nearby, it's an uphill walk from both directions


Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.