Income related ESA in support group - I want to change to contribution based ESA — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.

Income related ESA in support group - I want to change to contribution based ESA

cathysclaim Member Posts: 4 Listener
Hello I am new here and need some advice about ESA - I have been assessed and put on income related ESA in support group - I want to change to contribution based ESA  but am worried that I will have to go through the whole distressing / degrading application all over again. Is it possible to simply change to contribution based ? - any advice very much appreciated -thankyou  Cathy 


  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Scope Posts: 10,545 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @cathysclaim and a warm welcome to the community! I hope you find it a supportive place and continue to contribute.

    Based on other forums online you are unable to just change and it would require another assessment, however I hope others in the community are able to shed some light on this also as I am not qualified in benefits.

    If you need anything else then please do not hesitate to ask!

  • thespiceman
    thespiceman Member Posts: 6,389 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello @cathysclaim   Pleased to meet you welcome.  Thank you for sharing.

    I do not know the answer to your question.  I know a member of our community or team will know.

    I wanted to welcome you. We are a friendly supportive community who care and share.

    May I suggest having a look for an answer to your question. Have you spoken to CAB  . They have a wealth of knowledge and information on benefits.

    Also consider looking at our benefit advice ESA could be an answer to what you need to know. Lots of information and advice from our members.

    Hope that helps.

    Take care

    Community Champion
    SCOPE Volunteer Award Engaging Communities 2019
    Mental Health advice, guidance and information to all members
    Nutrition, Diet, Wellbeing, Addiction.
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Member Posts: 31,135 Disability Gamechanger

    If you were placed on Income related ESA when you first started your claim then it's impossible to change to Contribution based ESA.
    Are you sure you're not confused and are claiming Contribution based and want to claim for the Income Related top ups?
  • BenefitsTrainingCo
    BenefitsTrainingCo Member Posts: 2,622 Pioneering
    Hello cathysclaim

    When claiming ESA, a check will be first done to see what type of ESA a person is entitled to.  Contributory based ESA can only be claimed if  a person has paid sufficient national insurance contributions.  If you have not paid sufficient national ins. contributions the income related ESA is paid.  National insurance contributions will be based for example on NI conts. paid via a wage. 

    As posted above if you are on income related ESA you will not be able to then change onto cont. based ESA. 

    Is there however any reason as to why you want to change from income related to cont. based ESA? 


    The Benefits Training Co:
    Paul Bradley
    Michael Chambers
    Will Hadwen
    Sarah Hayle
    Maria Solomon
    David Stickland
  • SunshineLou
    SunshineLou Member Posts: 79 Pioneering

    As one person has said above you can’t get Contribution based ESA If you haven’t paid enough national insurance contributions but.....
    You’re placed on Income based if your current income is too low or you’re not working and don’t have a partner earning enough either. No matter whether or not you have enough national insurance contributions.
    Personally I get an amount of both. I get Income based as I can no longer work due to my disabilities but I also receive a small amount of contribution based as I had full national insurance contributions before my disability.

    They will have assessed your history and your current status to reach their decision. 
    It’s NOT a choice you can make, which type you receive. You can’t decide what you want.

    What I can say though is if you think they’ve made a mistake then call and let them know. They made a mistake with my claim at first and when I realised, over a year later, I called and asked them what had happened and after a minute checking my details they said that they had made a mistake and four days later a got a very big backdated amount of money into my account and a letter followed stating their mistakes. 

    It’s been hughly publicised that they’ve made large errors with assessments and have been re paying people thousands in backdated money. 

    It’s worth asking about. Hope that helps?

  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Member Posts: 31,135 Disability Gamechanger
    The mistake you're talking about was when some were transferred from Incapacity benefit to ESA, they were automatically placed on Contribution based ESA and weren't assessed for the Income Related top up. Those that weren't will receive back dated money, if they're entitled to the top up of Income Related. This doesn't apply here. Contribution based ESA is £110.75 per week. Anything over this you're claiming is the Income Related part.

    For cathysclaim it's the other way around and she said she's claiming Income related but as stated you can't change to Contribution based.


Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.