Income related ESA in support group - I want to change to contribution based ESA — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Income related ESA in support group - I want to change to contribution based ESA

cathysclaim
cathysclaim Community member Posts: 4 Listener
Hello I am new here and need some advice about ESA - I have been assessed and put on income related ESA in support group - I want to change to contribution based ESA  but am worried that I will have to go through the whole distressing / degrading application all over again. Is it possible to simply change to contribution based ? - any advice very much appreciated -thankyou  Cathy 

Comments

• Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @cathysclaim and a warm welcome to the community! I hope you find it a supportive place and continue to contribute.

Based on other forums online you are unable to just change and it would require another assessment, however I hope others in the community are able to shed some light on this also as I am not qualified in benefits.

If you need anything else then please do not hesitate to ask!
    Scope

• thespiceman
    thespiceman Community member Posts: 6,388 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello @cathysclaim   Pleased to meet you welcome.  Thank you for sharing.

I do not know the answer to your question.  I know a member of our community or team will know.

I wanted to welcome you. We are a friendly supportive community who care and share.

May I suggest having a look for an answer to your question. Have you spoken to CAB  . They have a wealth of knowledge and information on benefits.

Also consider looking at our benefit advice ESA could be an answer to what you need to know. Lots of information and advice from our members.

Hope that helps.

Take care

@thespiceman
    Community Champion
    SCOPE Volunteer Award Engaging Communities 2019
    Mental Health advice, guidance and information to all members
    Nutrition, Diet, Wellbeing, Addiction.
    Recipes
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,360 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi,

If you were placed on Income related ESA when you first started your claim then it's impossible to change to Contribution based ESA.
    Are you sure you're not confused and are claiming Contribution based and want to claim for the Income Related top ups?
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • BenefitsTrainingCo
    BenefitsTrainingCo Community member Posts: 2,621 Pioneering
    Hello cathysclaim

When claiming ESA, a check will be first done to see what type of ESA a person is entitled to.  Contributory based ESA can only be claimed if  a person has paid sufficient national insurance contributions.  If you have not paid sufficient national ins. contributions the income related ESA is paid.  National insurance contributions will be based for example on NI conts. paid via a wage. 

As posted above if you are on income related ESA you will not be able to then change onto cont. based ESA. 

Is there however any reason as to why you want to change from income related to cont. based ESA? 

Maria

The Benefits Training Co:

• poppy123456
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • SunshineLou
    SunshineLou Community member Posts: 79 Pioneering
    Hello,

As one person has said above you can’t get Contribution based ESA If you haven’t paid enough national insurance contributions but.....
    You’re placed on Income based if your current income is too low or you’re not working and don’t have a partner earning enough either. No matter whether or not you have enough national insurance contributions.
    Personally I get an amount of both. I get Income based as I can no longer work due to my disabilities but I also receive a small amount of contribution based as I had full national insurance contributions before my disability.

They will have assessed your history and your current status to reach their decision. 
    It’s NOT a choice you can make, which type you receive. You can’t decide what you want.

What I can say though is if you think they’ve made a mistake then call and let them know. They made a mistake with my claim at first and when I realised, over a year later, I called and asked them what had happened and after a minute checking my details they said that they had made a mistake and four days later a got a very big backdated amount of money into my account and a letter followed stating their mistakes. 

It’s been hughly publicised that they’ve made large errors with assessments and have been re paying people thousands in backdated money. 

It’s worth asking about. Hope that helps?

• poppy123456
    The mistake you're talking about was when some were transferred from Incapacity benefit to ESA, they were automatically placed on Contribution based ESA and weren't assessed for the Income Related top up. Those that weren't will receive back dated money, if they're entitled to the top up of Income Related. This doesn't apply here. Contribution based ESA is £110.75 per week. Anything over this you're claiming is the Income Related part.

For cathysclaim it's the other way around and she said she's claiming Income related but as stated you can't change to Contribution based.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.