Rates of DLA — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.

Rates of DLA

My son is going to be 2 this November. I have recently decided to apply for DLA for him for the first time ever. We have received a application form to fill out. I have looked at the rates and descriptors online and concluded that he needs HRM (he is paralyzed from the waist down) and MRC (he has bowel and bladder issues too). My question is what do I put on the form? How do I fill out the form properly? We plan on using that money to pay for home adaptions and gas expenses. Any advice is appreciated. 


  • thara
    thara Posts: 49 Connected
    Welcome to the community!!

    Daniel gets HRM and MRC. When I had to complete the form I included a ton of information on his bowel and bladder issues and paralysis. I also wrote about the fact that he uses leg braces and relies on a wheelchair for mobility and long distances as well. And I mentioned his therapy regime and medical appointments too.

    Basically speaking your best option is to include tons of information on the diagnosis etc. Disability Rights UK has a useful tool a diary which allows you to tell them how much your disability affects you. The questions are not difficult to comprehend and answer. Good luck. Your local CAB office has useful information and advice on applying- please take a look at the website. Lots of good information on there. 
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Member Posts: 31,167 Disability Gamechanger

    You can't claim the mobility part of DLA until your son is 3 years old.

    For DLA your child must need considerably more care than that of a child the same age. There's no descriptors for DLA, like there is for PIP. You need to explain in as much detail in the form the amount of care he needs for day and night.

    See this link which tells you all about DLA for children, inluding tha age for the mobility part.

  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Member Posts: 31,167 Disability Gamechanger
    Or contact your local CAB for help with filling the form in. Good luck.

  • thara
    thara Posts: 49 Connected
    Also describe any tests your child has had. Explain what the results are.
    The first ten questions are uncomplicated. 
    With questions 11-12 you need to talk about hospital stays and appointments. For the following two questions make sure that you mention names of any specialists involved with you and your family too. With the mobility related questions try to give detailed examples of mobility issues. Remember to make a copy of the form. Get copies of the medical reports and letters too. Good luck. 
  • curiousmom1996
    curiousmom1996 Posts: 35 Connected

    We applied in September last year. I spent most of one Saturday completing the form. A glass of wine was on the table for support. After several weeks I contacted them to find out if they had reached a decision or not. We went to a appeal after reading the assessment report that came in the mail. Eventually we were awarded middle rate care and high rate mobility as well. I had a social worker to help me figure out my next steps. Bad assessment reports and inaccurate information seem to be all too common here. I doubt that they had actually read the form. 


Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.