Claiming benefits while I have an operation. I am self employed. — Scope | Disability forum
Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.

Claiming benefits while I have an operation. I am self employed.

bubavfc1 Member Posts: 2 Listener
Hi ' i am due in hospital at the end of the month for a knee replacement.  What i want to know is what benefits i am able to claim whilst im off work. I am self employed.  


  • thespiceman
    thespiceman Member Posts: 6,389 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello @bubavfc1   Pleased to meet you welcome.  Sorry to hear you have to go in hospital and wish you well. For a speedy recovery.

    We are a friendly supportive community who care and share.

    In reply to your question about benefits have a look at our benefit advice under Employment, Finances and Disability Benefits. Lots of information comments from community members.

    I am sure a member of our team or community may advise as well. Have you contacted CAB they have a wealth of knowledge and advice on benefits and welfare.

    Something to consider have a look at the DWP website as well for qualifying criteria for sickness benefits also benefit information, advice.

    Hope that helps.

    Please take care


    Community Champion
    SCOPE Volunteer Award Engaging Communities 2019
    Mental Health advice, guidance and information to all members
    Nutrition, Diet, Wellbeing, Addiction.
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Scope Posts: 10,557 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @bubavfc1 and a warm welcome to the community! Thank you for sharing this with us and I hope it all goes smoothly for you. It may be worth contacting Citizens Advice or calling the Scope helpline on: 0808 800 3333 
    Please do keep us updated! If you need anything else then please do not hesitate to be in touch!

  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Member Posts: 28,573 Disability Gamechanger
    It will depend on circumstances. If you live with a partner that works to be able to claim Contributions based ESA (for those with a limited capability for work) it will depend on your NI contributions in the previous 2 tax years.

    For other means tested benefits it will totally depend on household income. More information will be needed to help you further.
  • bubavfc1
    bubavfc1 Member Posts: 2 Listener
    I have a partner but she doesn't work as she looks after our 3 year old. My wages are the only income we get and i wont be earning anything whilst off work as i am self employed. 
    I just dont know what benefits i can claim while i recover from my knee replacement 
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Member Posts: 28,573 Disability Gamechanger
    As your partner doesn't work then it's possible that you could claim a means tested benefit. First you need to check what's in your area, if it's a full Universal credit area and providing you don't have anymore than 2 children then it will have to be this and not ESA Check here. Housing benefit/child tax credits is all included in this.

    If it's not a full UC area then you could claim ESA as a couple, but to be able to do this then you'll need a fit note (sick note) from your GP. If you rent your home then housing benefit would be payable too, as well as council tax reduction.

    If you own your own home then you'll need to speak to your mortgage lender.


Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.