Housing and independent living
If this is your first visit, check out the community guide. You will have to Join us or Sign in before you can post.

Buying specialist furniture

ali5ali5 Member Posts: 5 Listener
Hi I'm wondering if anyone can help with a query my partner has just moved in with me he is a wheelchair user and has gone on my ESA claim he is due a share of a house sale that is to be split between siblings can we buy specialist furniture to make things easier for him in my house before the £16 k limit for ESA claim as it's now a joint claim I'm confused


  • Chloe_ScopeChloe_Scope Scope Posts: 10,652 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @ali5 and a warm welcome to the community! I hope someone is able to help with this :)
    Community Partner

    Tell us what you think?
    Complete our feedback form to help us to improve your community.
  • atlas46atlas46 Member Posts: 827 Pioneering
    Hi @ali5

    A warm welcome.

    What specialist furniture do you have in mind?

    Will he be able to the VAT exempt, because it is only for use by a disabled person?

    This would enable your boy friend, he is using the money, to improve is quality of life.

    Best wishes

  • ali5ali5 Member Posts: 5 Listener
    Hi yeh things like new sofa or chair like the rise up type mines very old and low which makes it had to get off and into his wheelchair and things to help in bathroom as my old house had wetroom but 8 steps down to house so I moved before he moved in for house with level entry and downstairs toilet but this one has a bath and he has already fallen 
  • atlas46atlas46 Member Posts: 827 Pioneering
    Check that you can get some VAT free. By example, the rising chair should be VAT free.

    I am just thinking you need to build your case and get no hassle from DWP.

    Hope this helps.
Sign in or join us to comment.