Deposit Help Advice — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.

Deposit Help Advice

laurabee70 Member Posts: 1 Listener
Hi,I'm a new member, and looking for any advice. I found a private landlord and moving to a new Area, due to family breakdown,  marriage ended on bad terms and involved domestic abuse, Im currently with the council in a 3 bedroom semi, a family home which is now effecting my health , and my 2 daughters also. Can't sleep and everywhere in the home is a constant reminder of what went on.  I suffer mental health problems but this has added more problems . I also suffer fibromyalgia , Arthritis , Curving of Spine ,which affects my mobility badly. I got management transfer awarded in the area that I'm already in, and they could only offer this . So found private and they excepted me as there tenant ,I agreed straight away , and also agreed deposit , as this was a new area , and fresh start, Then I thought ohh no Deposit , what am I going to do..I was panicking and I should have thought about at the time , but I didn't ..A friend told me apply to your new council for there Tenancy Deposit Scheme to see about help ,I told them everything why I agreed , and circumstances ,which the council I'm still with now have all details on my circumstances , The team leader from Access Housing Aberdeen ,called me Friday saying why Aberdeen ,Why I agreed deposit ,and think I would get it, from them, and why I needed help with removal, His words were your relying on us, he said if I disagree with deposit what will you do , he said you wouldn't be able to move would you, also how you going to get your furniture moved if we don't help,  He then said I really don't think your in a position to move and don't have funds , as I'm not allowing this help..I felt bullied and in tears to him . I applied for DHP , crisis grant , as I was looking for assistance , and was told from friend ,these grants ,funding etc are available , I'm not saying I should get this help, I was looking for help that's all..Please any Advice on what to do ..Thanks


  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Member Posts: 31,218 Disability Gamechanger

    You haven't stated if you claim benefits such as ESA/JSA (income related) or Income Support? If you do and you've been claiming any of these for at least 26 weeks then you could apply for a budgeting loan from DWP. Depending on circumstances you can have up to £800 maximum. Previous budgeting loans outstanding will decrease the amount you can borrow. This has to be repaid from your benefits weekly. It's certainly worth thinking about.

    Also i'm assuming you claim housing benefit? Have you checked what's in the area you're thinking of moving to? If it's a full Universal Credit area and you don't have anymore than 2 children, you won't be able to claim for housing benefit. It will have to be UC, all other existing benefits you claim like ESA/JSA Income Related or Income support, Child and working tax credit will transfer to UC and become 1 monthly payment. If you do have to claim this then you won't receive your first payment for 6 weeks after you apply. Check the area you're planning on moving to here.

  • Liam_Alumni
    Liam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 1,101 Pioneering
    Hi @laurabee70,

    I'm sorry to hear about all the problems you've been having with housing. It sounds like a really stressful time.

    @Gill_Scope, do you have any advice?
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 273 Pioneering
    Hi Laurabee70

    I'm sorry to be replying so long after your original post. 

    Also that you are having a very bad time trying to secure appropriate housing for yourself and your children. 

    I'm thinking you might go back a few paces and approach the National Domestic Abuse Helpline for advice on how to find a way forward.

    A council is only likely to help you directly if you have a local connection with that council, especially in these days of much reduced funding.  I guess that might be why Aberdeen weren't helpful about offering some of their rent deposit scheme funding - though of course it doesn't excuse the unpleasant attitude you found. 

    Rent deposit, bonds and guarantee schemes will help people to get private sector housing, but each council will have its own rules for administering  their  schemes.,_bond_and_guarantee_schemes

    It might be possible to approach your current council and ask their help with your necessary move. Talk to the Housing Options Team and explain your worries about your current tenancy.

    They may be able to refer you on to another council some distance away from your former partner, for example. 

    Evidence of your situation, if it is available, will be useful. 

    I hope something here helps.



Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.