Need to move local authority area — Scope | Disability forum
Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.

Need to move local authority area

livonia Member Posts: 74 Courageous
edited August 2018 in Universal Credit (UC)
 My daughter wants me to move closer to her so she can help me better. I moved back to this area 100 miles from her due to stalking 18 months ago but I’m struggling without her support  But she’s now in a different part of our original county so I think I’d be safe to be nearer her now. Not sure I can manage it. Because it’s universal credit now would I have to apply for full universal credit or can I keep Esa and pip and only apply for housing benefit elements assuming I find either a private let or local authority.My housing support worker here is worried i won’t be able to comply with universal credit requirements due to my mental health problems. I’m still waiting for therapy in this area but am seeing physcicatric doctor and  nurse. If I move it would be different local authority. I’ve only just been awarded pip for first time for my fibro and my anxiety illnesses and am on income based esa plus housing allowance. I thought transitional stuff was being talked about should I get transferred to ucredit but that is in my current area I presume.  I’ve heard nothing yet about being transferred off esa etc to universal credit as I’ve not changed circumstances apart from moving.


  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Member Posts: 28,607 Disability Gamechanger

    IF the area you're planning on moving to is a full UC area then yes you'll have to apply for this and not just a change of address for your ESA. Your housing benefit will become part of UC and paid paid as a housing element with UC. PIP isn't part of UC and that will continue as normal.

    The DWP announced in June that those currently claiming severe disability premium will not have to move to UC if their circumstances change. However, this hasn't yet been approved and no further anouncements have been made. In the meantime, if you do move area to a different local council and it's a full UC area then you will have to claim UC, unfortunately.
  • Liam_Alumni
    Liam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 1,105 Pioneering
    Hi @livonia,

    @BenefitsTrainingCo, are you able to advise further on this, please?
  • April2018mom
    April2018mom Posts: 2,868 Connected

    If you are moving into a full UC area then you will probably have to apply for the benefit. I recommend checking to see if you need to make a application or not? 
  • BenefitsTrainingCo
    BenefitsTrainingCo Member Posts: 2,628 Pioneering
    Hi Livonia

    I would advise you to seek help from an advice agency on this issue, such as a CAB.  This is because your situation is complicated, and you need someone to go through your options with you.

    I will however briefly explain your options at the bottom of this post in the hope that it will give you some insight before you see an adviser. It may also be worth showing this post to your support worker as well.

    An adviser will need to have information about your full circumstances and go through the pros and cons of claiming, not claiming UC or delaying a UC claim with you. 

    Before seeing an adviser, please check to see if your ESA entitlement includes a severe disability premium (SDP).  This is an extra amount of money if you receive PIP (daily living), live by yourself and no-one claims carers allowance for looking after you.  If you are unsure telephone ESA and ask them does your entitlement include a SDP. If it doesn’t include a SDP and you think you are entitled to this extra money ask why it has not been awarded.

    If you do receive or believe that you are entitled to a SDP this important as it will affect the advice given to you.  

    You also need to be clear what type of ESA you receive, that is the assessment amount, work related group or support group. Again, contact ESA if you are unsure. As above this may affect the advice given to you, especially in regard to whether you need to or do not need to look for work.

     Option 1

    If you are moving into a different local authority (LA), then you will need to make a new benefit claim for help with rent payments. You cannot make a new claim for Housing Benefit, you will have to instead make a claim for Universal Credit to help with rent payments. This is because Universal Credit (UC) replaces Housing Benefit.  UC also replaces income related ESA.  This means your ESA will also stop and be replaced with UC.  PIP is not affected by Universal Credit and so will continue to be paid.

    In this instance you will claim UC and PIP. You will receive UC for being unable to work, and help with your rent payments, plus PIP.  You then need a benefit calculation to assess what your total benefit income is.

    Option 2

    If you do not make a NEW benefit claim for help with rent payments, then you can contact ESA and report a change in your circumstances that is a change in your address. A change of circumstances is not making a new claim, and therefore ESA in this instance will continue. This differs from the option above as moving to a new LA is not a change of circumstances but a new benefit claim as it is a new benefit authority. 

    In this instance you will claim ESA and PIP. You will receive ESA for being unable to work, plus PIP, but there will be no help with your rent payments. You then need a benefit calculation to assess what your total benefit income is.  

    I wish you luck, and please keep us posted.


    The Benefits Training Co:
    Paul Bradley
    Michael Chambers
    Will Hadwen
    Sarah Hayle
    Maria Solomon
    David Stickland


Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.