PIP, DLA and AA
If this is your first visit, check out the community guide. You will have to Join us or Sign in before you can post.

PIP assessment

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 142 Listener
After waiting almost 14 weeks I got a letter today saying I have to have a f2f which I was really hoping I didn’t as I supplied lots of medical evidence and now I am a wreck with worry! I am so scared as I never had one for my ESA or my DLA 😥😥

Replies

  • YadnadYadnad Posts: 2,856 Member
    edited August 2018
    niknoo said:
    After waiting almost 14 weeks I got a letter today saying I have to have a f2f which I was really hoping I didn’t as I supplied lots of medical evidence and now I am a wreck with worry! I am so scared as I never had one for my ESA or my DLA 😥😥


    PIP was purposely designed to require claimants to undergo regular assessment and re-assessment by way of a face to face assessment.
     The reason being that it was wrong to allow those on DLA to have the benefit paid for years without any check being made to ensure that they still continued to be entitled. As you say you never had a face to face assessment for your DLA.

    That said and providing that you have a decent assessor who takes their job seriously and generally abides by the guidance that they are supposed to adhere to then it is nothing more than a chat as to what your issues are and how your life has been impacted by them
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 142 Listener
    @Yadnad thank you for replying, That’s a really good way off looking at it - a chat as to what my conditions are and how they impact my life. God I will be in there forever then haha! 

    With my DLA and ESA the medical evidence was enough to go by, but I know virtually everyone has to have a f2f with PIP. 

    I’m just very daunted as I’ve had DLA my entire adult life and so scared as all
    you hear his horror stories. That being said, the more positive ones are starting to filter through now. Xx
  • YadnadYadnad Posts: 2,856 Member
    niknoo said:
    @Yadnad thank you for replying, That’s a really good way off looking at it - a chat as to what my conditions are and how they impact my life. God I will be in there forever then haha! 

    With my DLA and ESA the medical evidence was enough to go by, but I know virtually everyone has to have a f2f with PIP. 

    I’m just very daunted as I’ve had DLA my entire adult life and so scared as all
    you hear his horror stories. That being said, the more positive ones are starting to filter through now. Xx
    Numbers wise there are far more positive outcomes than there are negative ones.
    My experience of PIP has been one horror after another but that's another story.

    Always plan for the worse but hope for the best - that's all you can do.

    It has taken me 5 years to realise, in fact just a few months to understand, what you have to do to give yourself the best chance of a decent award. 

    Always plenty of help and advice on here
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 142 Listener
    @Yadnad thank you for your advice. I know you had a terrible time of it regarding PIP, but what you’ve told me has eased my mind somewhat. I was physically shaking when I got the letter yesterday. I hate meeting new people and going to strange places even with the support of my partner. I rang yesterday to change the appointment as I wasn’t able to get to the original one without someone coming with me and even making that phone call I was crying, I was shaking, I nearly threw up. But the lady I spoke to was so lovely and said not worry the can change it to a date that’s convenient for me, which they did but I just know I’m going to be such a mess there. I’ll be so embarrassed :( if I have a panic attack there I will end up vomiting! Which I most likely will. I am in such a state about it. Xx
  • YadnadYadnad Posts: 2,856 Member
    niknoo said:
    @Yadnad thank you for your advice. I know you had a terrible time of it regarding PIP, but what you’ve told me has eased my mind somewhat. I was physically shaking when I got the letter yesterday. I hate meeting new people and going to strange places even with the support of my partner. I rang yesterday to change the appointment as I wasn’t able to get to the original one without someone coming with me and even making that phone call I was crying, I was shaking, I nearly threw up. But the lady I spoke to was so lovely and said not worry the can change it to a date that’s convenient for me, which they did but I just know I’m going to be such a mess there. I’ll be so embarrassed :( if I have a panic attack there I will end up vomiting! Which I most likely will. I am in such a state about it. Xx
    Unfortunately for me when I get stressed as in going to these assessments I react differently. My protective shield goes up which puts an invisible barrier between them and me. I can appear to be hostile, arrogant, and self determined (quite helpful as a local government politician though!). My previous life when working for the government before I became mentally ill doesn't help as there is very little that I don't know about how to carry out interviews under caution of the Perjury Act. My natural reaction to questions is either to field them off or attempt to divert the subject onto one that I am more happier talking about.
    Hence the reason why my assessor reports always come over as the assessor having to answer his/her own questions.

    Obviously you won't have that as a problem so be as relaxed as you can and hopefully with a good assessor you can talk openly about your problems.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 142 Listener
    Yadnad said:
    niknoo said:
    @Yadnad thank you for your advice. I know you had a terrible time of it regarding PIP, but what you’ve told me has eased my mind somewhat. I was physically shaking when I got the letter yesterday. I hate meeting new people and going to strange places even with the support of my partner. I rang yesterday to change the appointment as I wasn’t able to get to the original one without someone coming with me and even making that phone call I was crying, I was shaking, I nearly threw up. But the lady I spoke to was so lovely and said not worry the can change it to a date that’s convenient for me, which they did but I just know I’m going to be such a mess there. I’ll be so embarrassed :( if I have a panic attack there I will end up vomiting! Which I most likely will. I am in such a state about it. Xx
    Unfortunately for me when I get stressed as in going to these assessments I react differently. My protective shield goes up which puts an invisible barrier between them and me. I can appear to be hostile, arrogant, and self determined (quite helpful as a local government politician though!). My previous life when working for the government before I became mentally ill doesn't help as there is very little that I don't know about how to carry out interviews under caution of the Perjury Act. My natural reaction to questions is either to field them off or attempt to divert the subject onto one that I am more happier talking about.
    Hence the reason why my assessor reports always come over as the assessor having to answer his/her own questions.

    Obviously you won't have that as a problem so be as relaxed as you can and hopefully with a good assessor you can talk openly about your problems.
    I do have mental health issues to and my first instinct to protect myself is to become quite hostile also, especially in forgein situations and I also have massive paranoid issues so this is going to be a absolute minefield for me which was outlined by my mental health team. I don’t mean to do it, it’s just how life has made me. All I can do is go on there and talk as openly and honestly as I can! xxx
  • mikehughescqmikehughescq Member Posts: 5,979 Disability Gamechanger
    Yadnad said:
    niknoo said:
    After waiting almost 14 weeks I got a letter today saying I have to have a f2f which I was really hoping I didn’t as I supplied lots of medical evidence and now I am a wreck with worry! I am so scared as I never had one for my ESA or my DLA 😥😥


    PIP was purposely designed to require claimants to undergo regular assessment and re-assessment by way of a face to face assessment.
     The reason being that it was wrong to allow those on DLA to have the benefit paid for years without any check being made to ensure that they still continued to be entitled. As you say you never had a face to face assessment for your DLA.
    One of THE most annoying myths. There have been multiple investigations into the assertions made by government as to why DLA needed to be replaced by PIP. This was one for which there was no evidence found at all. DLA had regular reviews and random checks and 84% of decisions used additional evidence from GPs, consultants, hospitals and others who provide care, support and treatment, or from a medical assessment with, irony of ironies, ATOS. 

    Despite the 84% figure DLA was all about self assessment and if a condition was clearly for life or degenerative then why would you have a review. 



  • YadnadYadnad Posts: 2,856 Member
    edited August 2018

     


    One of THE most annoying myths. There have been multiple investigations into the assertions made by government as to why DLA needed to be replaced by PIP. This was one for which there was no evidence found at all. DLA had regular reviews and random checks and 84% of decisions used additional evidence from GPs, consultants, hospitals and others who provide care, support and treatment, or from a medical assessment with, irony of ironies, ATOS. 

    Despite the 84% figure DLA was all about self assessment and if a condition was clearly for life or degenerative then why would you have a review. 
    Thanks Mike, I didn't know that.

    However what I can say in my own defence is that in 1995 I had a Social Services WRO help complete the DLA forms. From memory there were two of them A and B. The only evidence that I know that went to the DWP was a form that they issued and  requested it be returned by my GP.

    When it came up for renewal in 2004 they issued the same forms but they were never returned as I didn't know that they had been issued as I was seriously ill in hospital. In 2011 I reapplied and the same award as before - High Mobility & High Care but this time indefinitely was given. Once again this form was completed by the same WRO as I was still under Social Services. According to my GP they did not contact him. 

    So in effect from 1995 to 2013 when I had my DLA awards the DWP had only contacted somebody (GP) once in 1995. If PIP had not come along and being on an indefinite award it is likely that the DLA payments would have continued indefinitely. As it is I have had rather haphazard PIP awards since 2013 and since earlier this year no award. That in itself shows that by having regular re-assessments can and does save a considerable amount of money for the Exchequer.
     
    Under DLA I remember a friend that claimed under the '6 months to live' criteria and was given an indefinite award of both high rates for both components. That was in 1993. He died in 1998. This in my opinion made a mockery of that system. No checks were made to see if he was still alive. Under PIP I believe the award given in these circumstances is for 3 years, with a review after 2 years so that continued existence would be checked.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 142 Listener
    @mikehughescq this is what has upset me so much. My illness will never go, there is no cure, it’s degenerative and will kill me so why put people with illnesses like mine through it? It’s just not fair. I had my indefinite award and now I’ve got to prove my illness again, I submitted so much medical eveidence but I suppose they just briefly touch on how it affects me so I guessing speaking with me will give them greater detail? I’m just so scared :( I hate this! It’s making me feel very ill with stress. Xxx
  • debbiedo49debbiedo49 Member Posts: 2,906 Disability Gamechanger
    💜🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿
    I am a fibro warrior !💜♏️
  • YadnadYadnad Posts: 2,856 Member
    edited August 2018
    If you want my honest opinion  - good suggestions probably written by someone that has never had the problem of fear and anxiety.
    For me it is about as useful as talking therapy or listening to whale music.

    Fear of anything be it actual or perceived and certainly in my case, leads to the flight or fight scenario. For me it is always fight - never been the person to run away from anything or anybody hence why I ended up with the damaged brain that I have along with the scars of the two bullet wounds!
  • YadnadYadnad Posts: 2,856 Member
    edited August 2018
  • Chloe_ScopeChloe_Scope Scope Posts: 10,652 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @niknoo, I am sorry that the idea of a f2f is so nerve wracking for you. Is there anyone that you could take with you to help keep you calm? The community are behind you and can support you through the whole process
    Community Partner
    Scope

    Tell us what you think?
    Complete our feedback form to help us to improve your community.
  • mikehughescqmikehughescq Member Posts: 5,979 Disability Gamechanger
    niknoo said:
    @mikehughescq this is what has upset me so much. My illness will never go, there is no cure, it’s degenerative and will kill me so why put people with illnesses like mine through it? It’s just not fair. I had my indefinite award and now I’ve got to prove my illness again, I submitted so much medical eveidence but I suppose they just briefly touch on how it affects me so I guessing speaking with me will give them greater detail? I’m just so scared :( I hate this! It’s making me feel very ill with stress. Xxx
    Very important when you go for PIP to explain why it should be an ongoing award. Yet to see a single document from DWP or an advice agency which even suggests that.
  • debbiedo49debbiedo49 Member Posts: 2,906 Disability Gamechanger
    @Yadnad different things work for different people 
    💜🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿
    I am a fibro warrior !💜♏️
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 142 Listener
    @Chloe_Scope thank you, yes my partner is coming with me, I can’t go out without someone with me due to both physical and mental issues :( thank you xx

    and @mikehughescq can I suggest that to them then? xxx
  • mikehughescqmikehughescq Member Posts: 5,979 Disability Gamechanger
    Yes, you should. 
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 142 Listener
    @mikehughescq, brilliant thank you :) and advice is much appreciated! xxx
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 142 Listener
    So I’ve managed to get a advocate from the local benefit support agency to come to my assessment with me. I’m feeling much calmer now :) 
  • kazzy1kazzy1 Member Posts: 31 Connected
    I have just been through the process and given a 10 year award. I think you need to be honest and send in as much supporting evidence as possible. I had a home face to face and again, be honest as you will feel more comfortable and they will pick it up. They are not there to trick you but to get a fair assessment of your capacity to do certain tasks. I know I was terrified but it was fine. Don't panic and good luck everyone who's going through it.
Sign in or join us to comment.