Carers allowance- can I switch from looking after my husband to my son? — Scope | Disability forum
Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.

Carers allowance- can I switch from looking after my husband to my son?

vixy7 Member Posts: 16 Connected
Hi I'm after some advice regarding carers allowance.  I care for my husband who is epileptic he recives lower rate mobility and middle  rate care as he receives middle rate care I claim carers allowance. My son is Autisc and recieves middle rate care. So i was just wondering can I switch from being my husband carer to my sons carer ? My husband has to apply for pip soon as his Dla award is due to end early next year ,if he fails to be awarded pip can i just swap my carers allowance to be my sons carer or will i need to re apply for carers allowance?


  • Ami2301
    Ami2301 Community Co-Production Group Posts: 7,946 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @vixy7
    Welcome to the community! Unfortunately I am unsure however members of the community may know and will contact you soon :)
    Disability Gamechanger - 2019
  • vixy7
    vixy7 Member Posts: 16 Connected
    Thank you Ami2301
  • BenefitsTrainingCo
    BenefitsTrainingCo Member Posts: 2,628 Pioneering
    Hi @vixy7

    Unfortunately to switch to being your son's carer you will have to re-claim CA for him, as a full claim needs to be made each time, to ensure all the correct details are captured.

    It's not a complex process though, you can even claim online

    You will also need to end the claim for your husband by calling or writing to Carer's Allowance.

    If your husband is awarded PIP daily living though, then it'd be sensible for you to continue to claim for him, and for him to claim CA for your son (unless you're on Universal Credit) as you could then get the benefit of two carer premiums.

    Hope this helps.

    Kind regards,

    The Benefits Training Co:
    Paul Bradley
    Michael Chambers
    Will Hadwen
    Sarah Hayle
    Maria Solomon
    David Stickland
  • mikehughescq
    mikehughescq Posts: 8,847 Connected
    I have yet to disagree with anything @BenefitsTrainingCo post but I am going to on this occasion as I think a little more clarity is required.

    If your husband fails to get PIP then the existing CA claim will end but you can ask for it to be superseded based on a change of circumstances i.e. a change of carer. I’ve done this on multiple occasions without issue and it’s fine PROVIDED  a full statement is made. Help may be needed with the latter and as the CA unit aren’t overly familiar with the law it may be easier to make a fresh claim but it’s not compulsory.

    If his PIP claim is successful then you have nothing to change but it might nevertheless be worth you doing so for peace of mind depending on who has the longer award. You may also want to look at whether a claim for CA based on caring for one of them could be made by another person. 
  • noddysgirl
    noddysgirl Member Posts: 2 Listener
    I claim carers allowance for my husband but considering finishing work 
    im not of retirement age yet 
    but can claim a small works pension 
    will it affect my careers allowance it’s only about just over £60 per month 
  • mikehughescq
    mikehughescq Posts: 8,847 Connected
    Only earnings or studying impact on CA. So, no. 


Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.