Carers allowance- can I switch from looking after my husband to my son? — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Carers allowance- can I switch from looking after my husband to my son?

Options
vixy7
vixy7 Community member Posts: 16 Connected
Hi I'm after some advice regarding carers allowance.  I care for my husband who is epileptic he recives lower rate mobility and middle  rate care as he receives middle rate care I claim carers allowance. My son is Autisc and recieves middle rate care. So i was just wondering can I switch from being my husband carer to my sons carer ? My husband has to apply for pip soon as his Dla award is due to end early next year ,if he fails to be awarded pip can i just swap my carers allowance to be my sons carer or will i need to re apply for carers allowance?

Comments

• Ami2301
    Ami2301 Community member Posts: 7,942 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @vixy7
    Welcome to the community! Unfortunately I am unsure however members of the community may know and will contact you soon :)
    Disability Gamechanger - 2019
  • vixy7
    vixy7 Community member Posts: 16 Connected
    Options
    Thank you Ami2301
  • BenefitsTrainingCo
    BenefitsTrainingCo Community member Posts: 2,621 Pioneering
    Options
    Hi @vixy7

Unfortunately to switch to being your son's carer you will have to re-claim CA for him, as a full claim needs to be made each time, to ensure all the correct details are captured.

It's not a complex process though, you can even claim online https://www.gov.uk/carers-allowance/how-to-claim

You will also need to end the claim for your husband by calling or writing to Carer's Allowance.

If your husband is awarded PIP daily living though, then it'd be sensible for you to continue to claim for him, and for him to claim CA for your son (unless you're on Universal Credit) as you could then get the benefit of two carer premiums.

Hope this helps.

Kind regards,

Mary
    The Benefits Training Co:

• noddysgirl
    noddysgirl Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    Options
    I claim carers allowance for my husband but considering finishing work 
    im not of retirement age yet 
    but can claim a small works pension 
    will it affect my careers allowance it’s only about just over £60 per month 

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.