What benefits am I entitled to?
If this is your first visit, check out the community guide. You will have to Join us or Sign in before you can post.

Benefits and national insurance contributions

bakebeansbakebeans Member Posts: 2 Listener
Hi my wife had a burst brain aneurysm in oct 2016 and spent 14 months in hospital and rehab the bleed caused her to have a massive stroke witch has effected her right side and has no short term memory she is 43 . Before the injury my wife was a housewife and mother running the home my problem is child support was in my name so she has no national insurance contributions cant claim any benifits or free presciptions , im not really botherd about the benifits i work full time and my wife sister is her carer but i would like my wife to get a state penstion and help with presciptions any advice would be great cheers 


  • Ami2301Ami2301 Community Co-Production Group Posts: 7,472 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @bakebeans (loving the username!)
    Welcome to the community! Unfortunately I don't know what the best advice to give you right now however I'm sure other members of the community will be more than happy to give you advice :)
    Disability Gamechanger - 2019
  • thespicemanthespiceman Member Posts: 6,408 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello @bakebeans   Pleased to meet you Welcome.

    Thank you for sharing.  Sorry what has happened. You have come to the right place to get any support and advice.  Information and anything else we can assist you with.

    Wanted to welcome you and hope we can be friendly supportive.  Care and share.

    Understand the question you need answering. I am not too sure of an answer. What I can tell you there are members of our community or team will know.

    It is worth looking at our benefit advice for any possible answers.

    Also consider looking CAB that is another solution.

    I hope and pray you get the right information and answers you need.

    Pleasure to meet you. 

    Take care

    Community Champion
    SCOPE Volunteer Award Engaging Communities 2019
    Mental Health advice, guidance and information to all members
    Nutrition, Diet, Wellbeing, Addiction.
  • Chloe_ScopeChloe_Scope Scope Posts: 10,652 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @bakebeans and welcome to the community! I am sorry to hear about your wife. You do not need NI contribution to claim certain benefits so it may be worth looking into this with the benefits calculator. Also, help with NHS prescriptions can be gained in a number ways. Here is a list of the options available.
    Community Partner

    Tell us what you think?
    Complete our feedback form to help us to improve your community.
  • bakebeansbakebeans Member Posts: 2 Listener
    Just like to thankyou all for your time and comments i've managed to get a presciption charge exemption form from my gp which i was unaware we had to fill out once my wife left rehab 8 months ago ! Also been in touch with hrmc about transfering national insurance contributions over to wife but still don't know where she stands with recieving new stamps or if intitled to any   cheers once again 
  • Sam_AlumniSam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,731 Disability Gamechanger
    Great news @bakebeans - have you spoken to the CAB?

    Senior online community officer
  • Chloe_ScopeChloe_Scope Scope Posts: 10,652 Disability Gamechanger
    You're more than welcome @bakebeans! I am glad you seem to be getting somewhere. If you need anything else at all then please do come back to the community :)
    Community Partner

    Tell us what you think?
    Complete our feedback form to help us to improve your community.
  • poppy123456poppy123456 Member Posts: 22,218 Disability Gamechanger
    For National insurance credits if your area isn't a full universal credit area then she could claim ESA as income related and just receive the NI credits and not the payments of course. The process for this claim is the same as it would be if she was receiving payment and fit/sick notes would be needed. Check your area here.

    If it's a full UC credit area then a claim for ESA for NI credits will not be possible. NI credits through child benefit is only possible until your youngest child reaches 12. 

    Proud winner of the 2019 empowering others award. This award was given for supporting disabled people and their families for the benefit advice I have given to members here on the community.
Sign in or join us to comment.