Successful Epilepsy claims for pip — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Successful Epilepsy claims for pip

vixy7
vixy7 Community member Posts: 16 Connected
Hello,
I was just wondering if anyone has had a successful claim for Pip with epilepsy since the new court ruling? My husband claims DLA at present middle rate care and lower rate mobility and will need to apply for PIP in the near future. After reading alot of horror stories of epilepsy claiments being unsuccessful with pip were not holding out much hope for Pip being rewarded ?

Comments

• Charli
    Charli Community member Posts: 51 Courageous
    A friend of mine has epilepsy he had to go to appeal to receive pip but that was two years ago sorry can’t be any more help but you’ve come to the right sight there are a lot of knowledgable people on here who will help as much as they can they’re all fantastic 
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi, if you do wish to make a claim then there is information on the Scope website here, it may also be worth taking the PIP self help test as this shows the amount of points that you potentially could be awarded :) 
    Scope

• Paul7210
    Paul7210 Community member Posts: 41 Courageous
    Hi Vixy7, my wife was on the same DLA as your husband, if he's having regular seizures most days he could actually be better off under PIP. Here's the scores and descriptors, if I can help in any way just ask. If his epilepsy is fairly well controlled then it can be a hard to gain any support so you might need to fight in this situation. https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/Global/Migrated_Documents/adviceguide/pip-9-table-of-activities-descriptors-and-points.pdf
  • vixy7
    vixy7 Community member Posts: 16 Connected
    Hi Paul7210. Thank you for your reply. Does your wife recieve PIP now? My husband has daily partial seizures which affect his hand whilst it happens it happens 2-3 times a day. I do all cooking ect as he could burn himself. He needs to be supervised in bath/shower.  His memory is bad i have to remind him to take meds and he finds communicating with people difficult as he gets his words jumbled ect. I also have to take care of all the fiances as hes not able to as get confused easy and forgetful. He has now recieved a letter from DWP to make a claim for PIP as his dla claim is due to end in January.
  • Paul7210
    Paul7210 Community member Posts: 41 Courageous
    edited September 2018
    Hi Vixy, yes my wife Lisa receives enhanced rates for both and awarded for 5 years. I'm really sorry to hear about your husband, I know for a fact it will be hard on both of you, it's really difficult to see the person you love suffer like this. I've been married to Lisa for over 20 years and steadily over the years the condition has progressed despite us trying most treatments from medication to surgery including Vagal nerve Stimulation and Deep Brain Stimulation. Lisa's memory like your husband is bad as her abnormal electrical activity is occurring most of the time in her frontal lobe and quickly spreads to her left temporal lobe. As your Husband Lisa has poor understanding of money, even some housework she struggles due to the risks of seizures occurring anytime which is most days. We do have a care package at home providing support for so many hours a week which allows me to continue working, we take this in a direct payment form and employ a personal assistant, in our case Social Services have been brilliant and help with our PIP claim, here's some link to list of the questions. It all depends how bad his epilepsy is, but he must require care at least 50% of the time, in our case DWP's also wrote to our Care Manager for a copy of her care plan which saved us going to the assessment centre.

https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/benefits/sick-or-disabled-people-and-carers/pip/help-with-your-claim/fill-in-form/
    Here's a blog about our situation from a few years ago:
    https://www.telmenow.com/2016/09/unpredictability-of-epileptic-seizures/
    hope some of this helps. I wish you well with the claim
    Paul

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.