How can I help him to learn to write? — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

How can I help him to learn to write?

Kornelia
Kornelia Community member Posts: 1 Listener
edited October 2021 in Autism and neurodiversity
I am a support worker in a mental health rehabilitation centre. I am a keyworker and recently my client expressed his wish to learn basic writing and spelling. He can read ( self taught) and he is overall a well informed, pleasant man. 
Problems : mild learning disability, schizophrenia ( he gets depots injections of anti- psychotic drug), mild alcoholism ( 2-3 beers a day).
My management is reluctant to send him for a course without seeing at what level of writing skills he is and they think he will not focus and not attend the course. I am just a junior support worker with no teaching experience, but I would like to help him. 
His schizophrenia is well maintained with monthly depot injections so there is no risk that this will distract him from learning.
I am just afraid that our brain uses different certain areas when we read and when we write, and it might be difficult for him.

I would be very grateful if someone could suggest any paths, organisations, or ways to help him. Anything will help. 
I am planning just to get him a few notebooks and teach him alphabet first. Using books for children is not recommended as he is an adult and this could have been wrongly understood by his care coordinators etc. 

Thank you in advance. 

Comments

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.