Carer's allowance
If this is your first visit, check out the community guide. You will have to Join us or Sign in before you can post.

Carers allowance and receiving inheritance

varshvarsh Member Posts: 2 Listener
edited September 2018 in Carer's allowance
Hello. My mother is likely to receive money from the WILL following her mother’s death, however, she receives carers allowance. Will this affect her benefit, particularly if it is over £16,000? At the moment she has a joint account with her spouse who is in receipt of PIP and ESA so I highly doubt the money/cheque can be cashed into that account as it will affect my father’s benefits for sure. She will have to open a separate account right?

Replies

• Mumof2dsMumof2ds Member Posts: 148 Pioneering
    Hi. Welcome. 

I know my elderly Dad (88 in September) has savings, and the threshold cut off for everything seems to be £23,000. He is poorly and housebound, with very little mobility. 

Not sure about ESA or PIP, but he does get attendance allowence towards carer daily, and Attendance Allowence we were told is not subject to means testing. 

P X 

Politeness costs nothing, but goes a long way in life. 
     Always look out for each other. Be kind. 
     Hugs and smiles mean the world. XX 
  • steve51steve51 Member Posts: 7,175 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @varsh

Good Evening & Welcome it’s great to meet you today.

Yes you will find that any extra monies will need to be mentioned in reference to the benefits currently awarded.

This extra money will be used to update the current/new benefits.

I have posted some info below for you with regards to benefits.

Please please let me know if I can help you further?????
  • mikehughescqmikehughescq Member Posts: 5,941 Disability Gamechanger
    edited August 2018
    Carers Allowance is not means-tested and there’s no need to declare receipt of any capital. However, if her partner receives means tested ESA and it’s claimed as part of a couple then that will need to be declared and will impact as the capital limit is £16,000. Ditto Housing Benefit and Council Tax Reduction.
  • Pippa_AlumniPippa_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,851 Disability Gamechanger
    Welcome to the community, @varsh! I hope you find the above advice helpful.
  • varshvarsh Member Posts: 2 Listener
    Many thanks for your responses everyone. Mike Hughes, thank you. I called PIP and Carers allowance also to confirm. All much clearer. Thank you all!
Sign in or join us to comment.