Carers allowance and receiving inheritance — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Carers allowance and receiving inheritance

Options
varsh
varsh Community member Posts: 2 Listener
Hello. My mother is likely to receive money from the WILL following her mother’s death, however, she receives carers allowance. Will this affect her benefit, particularly if it is over £16,000? At the moment she has a joint account with her spouse who is in receipt of PIP and ESA so I highly doubt the money/cheque can be cashed into that account as it will affect my father’s benefits for sure. She will have to open a separate account right?

Comments

• Mumof2ds
    Mumof2ds Community member Posts: 147 Pioneering
    Options
    Hi. Welcome. 

I know my elderly Dad (88 in September) has savings, and the threshold cut off for everything seems to be £23,000. He is poorly and housebound, with very little mobility. 

Not sure about ESA or PIP, but he does get attendance allowence towards carer daily, and Attendance Allowence we were told is not subject to means testing. 

P X 

Politeness costs nothing, but goes a long way in life. 
     Always look out for each other. Be kind. 
     Hugs and smiles mean the world. XX 
  • steve51
    steve51 Community member Posts: 7,153 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @varsh

Good Evening & Welcome it’s great to meet you today.

Yes you will find that any extra monies will need to be mentioned in reference to the benefits currently awarded.

This extra money will be used to update the current/new benefits.

I have posted some info below for you with regards to benefits.

Please please let me know if I can help you further?????
  • Pippa_Alumni
    Pippa_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,793 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Welcome to the community, @varsh! I hope you find the above advice helpful.
  • varsh
    varsh Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    edited November 2022
    Options
    Many thanks for your responses everyone. Mike [removed by moderator], thank you. I called PIP and Carers allowance also to confirm. All much clearer. Thank you all!

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.