Employment and Support Allowance (ESA)
If this is your first visit, check out the community guide. You will have to Join us or Sign in before you can post.
Receiving too many notifications? Adjust your notification settings.

Girlfriend's ESA inexplicably increased to £254.30

So, she just checked her bank account as it's past midnight, then called me immediately panicked, saying her ESA payment went in and was a payment of £254.30.

Before that, she has been consistently receiving £232.10, but has received no forewarning that her money was to rise.

She is now worried this is indicative of an impending ceasing of her benefit.

So, I have come here for any advice or insight as to why this has happened. 

Thanks

Replies

• poppy123456poppy123456 Member Posts: 22,218 Disability Gamechanger
    edited August 2018
    Hi,
    £254.30 is the Support Group rate because it's £127.15 per week (income related). I have no idea what the £232.10 is. Was she in the Support Group wen receiving this rate? If so then they were most likely taking money to repay something back. 
    Community champion and proud winner of the 2019 empowering others award. This award was given for supporting disabled people and their families for the benefit advice i have given to members here on the community.
  • LiamO_DellLiamO_Dell Member Posts: 1,114 Pioneering
    Hi @BenefitsTrainingCo, would you happen to have an idea as to why this may have increased for @PIPNewbie's girlfriend?
    Liam
  • PIPnewbiePIPnewbie Member Posts: 257 Pioneering
    Hi, we have worked this out now, thank you.

As soon as I Googled the rate along with "ESA" it seems it is the correct rate, but she was having some of her money taken to repay something she owed (thanks to her abusive ex of 11 years using her benefits to buy himself video games and give his family money via a loan he made her borrow).
  • LiamO_DellLiamO_Dell Member Posts: 1,114 Pioneering
    Hi @PIPnewbie, I'm glad to hear that you've found the answer. Do let us know if you have any other questions or if we can help in any way!

Liam
Sign in or join us to comment.