Girlfriend's ESA inexplicably increased to £254.30 — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Girlfriend's ESA inexplicably increased to £254.30

PIPnewbie
PIPnewbie Community member Posts: 298 Pioneering
So, she just checked her bank account as it's past midnight, then called me immediately panicked, saying her ESA payment went in and was a payment of £254.30.

Before that, she has been consistently receiving £232.10, but has received no forewarning that her money was to rise.

She is now worried this is indicative of an impending ceasing of her benefit.

So, I have come here for any advice or insight as to why this has happened. 

Thanks

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,353 Disability Gamechanger
    edited August 2018
    Hi,
    £254.30 is the Support Group rate because it's £127.15 per week (income related). I have no idea what the £232.10 is. Was she in the Support Group wen receiving this rate? If so then they were most likely taking money to repay something back. 
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Liam_Alumni
    Liam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 1,101 Pioneering
    Hi @BenefitsTrainingCo, would you happen to have an idea as to why this may have increased for @PIPNewbie's girlfriend?
    Liam
  • PIPnewbie
    PIPnewbie Community member Posts: 298 Pioneering
    Hi, we have worked this out now, thank you.

As soon as I Googled the rate along with "ESA" it seems it is the correct rate, but she was having some of her money taken to repay something she owed (thanks to her abusive ex of 11 years using her benefits to buy himself video games and give his family money via a loan he made her borrow).
  • Liam_Alumni
    Liam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 1,101 Pioneering
    Hi @PIPnewbie, I'm glad to hear that you've found the answer. Do let us know if you have any other questions or if we can help in any way!

Liam

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.