Employment and Support Allowance (ESA)
If this is your first visit, check out the community guide. You will have to Join us or Sign in before you can post.

Cancel esa

Hi I have been reveirece ESA for around 18 months now my partner was only working 10-15 hours a week.

She has recently got a new job where her hours have increased to 30 hours. Because of this my ESA has now been cancelled

I sort of get the dwps reasoning for this but I don't expect my partner to have to pay to keep me, we are not married and I don't want to have to rely on her to feed and clothe me.

I know that it's an area that has been debated in the past but does anyone have any advice on what other support I can get so that I don't have to rely on her


  • RipplesRipples Member Posts: 189 Pioneering
    Were you receiving CB ESA or   IR ESA ?  They will reduce amounts  payed tio you depending on what other income is coming into the household.
  • dnhdnh Member Posts: 6 Listener
    It was income related. Like I say I do sort of understand it but I think it should be looked at individualy as we don't share money and I don't expect her to pay for me it's just difficult and causes arguments
  • poppy123456poppy123456 Member Posts: 22,218 Disability Gamechanger
    Unfortunately, whether you're married or not she's still your partner and is meant to support you. Pop both of your details into a benefits calculator to see what else you can both claim, if all details are put in correctly they're fairly accurate. 

    You could look into claiming PIP if you don't already claim a disability benefit. A successful claim for this will depend how your conditions affect you daily. Evidence will be needed. PIP isn't means tested so your partner working won't affect this. 
    Community champion and proud winner of the 2019 empowering others award. This award was given for supporting disabled people and their families for the benefit advice i have given to members here on the community.
Sign in or join us to comment.