Hi, my name is Billcham! — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Hi, my name is Billcham!

Options
Billcham
Billcham Community member Posts: 3 Listener
I'd just like to say Hi to everyone and to thank you and also to say I'm looking forward to reading your posts and sharing my experiences and joining in where applicable. 

Comments

• Ami2301
    Ami2301 Community member Posts: 7,942 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @Billcham
    Welcome to the community! Would you mind telling us a bit about yourself?
    Disability Gamechanger - 2019
  • Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,671 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Welcome to the community @Billcham :)
    Scope
    Senior online community officer
  • Billcham
    Options
    Hi, I'm 60 years old, 61 in November, My health has long been down the tube as my ticker is as dodgy as a seven pound note at an Asda check out. I had a triple heart bypass approx 10 year ago after a series of blackouts and episodes and an eventual heart attack. Thankfully the operation was a success and after a period of recuperation I managed to get back to working, at first part time, and then full time. My job involved a fair amount of heavy lifting and carrying and working with a heavy tool box, but after several years back at work I found I could no longer do this and since then I have been relegated to office and driving duties. I should add that I'm self employed and this transition was my choice of which at the time I was fortunate to be able to do by employing an engineer to take over my previous work duties.
    Nowadays I'm still working, but I don't know for how long that'll last as my list of progressive illnesses is rapidly growing. My heart is failing to the point where my consultant has advised me that there is nothing more he can do for me nor are there any more medications that he can prescribe so he has took me off his books.
    I have a vascular problem with my legs, whereby the main blood supply is now completely blocked which means my mobility is very limited and my legs painfully cramp up so I can only manage about 10 metres with the aid of a walking stick and for any longer distances I have to use a wheelchair. Once again another consultant has, as of yesterday, has taken me off his books as in his words there is nothing he can do for me because with my heart condition surgery is out of the question as it would be unlikely that I would survive it, and there is no medication that he can give me to ease the situation as it would interfere with the drugs that I take for my heart condition so he discharged me from his care.
    Approximately 2 years ago I had a bit of a shock when I suddenly started coughing up copious amounts of blood from my lungs and was placed under the care of yet another consultant of whom decided to submit me to two Bronchoscopy procedures but could find very little wrong other than a small unexplained cut / tear in my lung of which by the time of the procedures had started to heal an had ceased to bleed. A Mystery? I'm guessing that by the time of my next appointment with him he too will give me the boot and I'll be out on a limb. (Wish I couldn't use this limb to help me walk better!) 
    Apart from this little bundle of joy I also have type 2 diabetes, breathing difficulties, problems with Magnesium and associated Magnesium deficiencies, and an uncanny ability to play host to every cough sniffle and aching joint known to medicine. (Well at least it seems that way at times.) 
    Oh I forgot to mention my latest addition, as yet not officially diagnosed merely suggested by the Vascular Doctor of whom discharged me from the Vascular Consultants care yesterday. I had mentioned that I was getting a lot of pain in my groin area more so when walking or moving my leg and I asked if this could be related to the vascular blockage to my legs that originates in my stomach area and he stated that this was highly unlikely and the pain was most likely due to a hip displacement. Needless to say he didn't examine me! So now I'm in the process of trying to get an appointment with my Doctor, I say trying, as it would be easier finding Lord Lucan riding Shergar and chasing Elvis who is driving a London bus on the Moon! 

I went for a PIP's interview / interrogation  a few of month back and did the stupid thing of of being honest and explaining that I could make a sandwich etc and that I could work at my computer and still walk albeit limited and drive short distances etc.  Because of this I was only awarded the lesser payment with no mobility allowance. Perhaps some might rightly say you were lucky to get that as one hears and reads so many Horror stories by people trying to claim this benefit.

Billch  

• Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @Billcham, thank you very much for taking the time to share this with us all! I am so sorry to hear about everything that is going on with your health, it certainly does not sound easy! Please do let us know if there is anything that we can do to help.
    Scope

• Billcham
    Options
    Hi Chloe_Scope, Thank you for your kind response. I Guess there's not much I really need except perhaps information / advice at a later date when I'm forced to give up working and maybe a push or two in the right direction as I don't have much experience in disability claims etc.

On the other hand, for what it's worth, if there's anything that I can offer by way of my experiences, or of the procedures that I've been through or whatever I'd be more than happy to share that with anyone.

Thanks again, keep your chin up, and best wishes.

Billcham

• Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @Billcham, you're very welcome! We would love to hear your experiences, that is very kind of you! You can find a list of all the discussion boards here. Please feel free to get involved as much or as letting as you want! :)
    Scope

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.