I haven't received the forms to change from DLA to PIP, should I apply anyway? — Scope | Disability forum
Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.

I haven't received the forms to change from DLA to PIP, should I apply anyway?

kcondict Member Posts: 1 Listener
edited September 2018 in PIP, DLA, and AA
Please help
I have DLA indefinite award for both. and ESA support group. Due to spinal tumours and associated incontinence.
I have not received letter to transfer to PIP yet and it has worried me for over 2 years!!!
All advise on line says not to apply until you receive letter telling you to apply.
However, I have just received an ill health pension from 2 previous employers. This process involved me have indepth consultantion and investigations by 2 occupational health consultants who contacted GP, consultants, scans etc.  These were ATOS and Maximus.
Therefore, I have up to date indepth evidence in support of a PIP claim.
Would it therefore be a good time to apply?  
I am so stressed about all this for so long I just want it over with
Please advise?


  • blueboy87
    blueboy87 Member Posts: 69 Courageous
    Hi @kiki welcome I would request a pip form and enclose all the evidence you have and hopefully you will get it good luck 
  • Ami2301
    Ami2301 Community Co-Production Group Posts: 7,946 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @kcondict
    Welcome to the community! Sorry I don't know the best advice to give you right now. Just wanted to wish you luck!
    Disability Gamechanger - 2019
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Scope Posts: 10,557 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @kcondict and a very warm welcome to the community. I am unsure on what to advise but it may be worth giving our helpline a ring on: 0808 800 3333 as they will be able to help with your specific situation. I will also move this post to the DLA/ PIP section of the community and I hope more people will be able to advise on this :)

  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Member Posts: 28,447 Disability Gamechanger
    No, there's no need to apply for PIP, not until you're sent a letter to ask to apply. You're not the only one who hasn't been invited to change over yet, many people are exactly like you. You have high DLA for both and I wouldn't rock the boat.

    Your Ill health pension however, could affect your ESA depending on whether it's Contribution based ESA or Income related ESA. It will also depend on how much pension you receive and what lump sum if any you have had. If you're unsure which ESA you're receiving then the safest way is to report this pension to ESA. All changes must be reported. 
  • mikehughescq
    mikehughescq Posts: 8,845 Connected
    You have nothing to gain from accelerating the conversion process and the medical evidence you have is unlikely to be directed to anything PIP will be looking at so I would heed the advice from @poppy123456.

    Whilst the thought of conversion has worried you for 2 years that needs to be compared to the many examples of people losing out on conversion and the length of time that can take to sort, if at all. In some areas mandatory reconsiderations are taking 3 months and appeals have an 18 month wait. 
  • 98Kirsty98
    98Kirsty98 Member Posts: 2 Listener
    HI Kcondict. I would honestly say leave it until they request you to apply. Having in depth upto date evidence is great . However, when my hubby changed over   to PIP our income dropped drastically for 2 years ! . If you are on a good rate at the moment honestly stay as you are until they contact you . It was a 6 week wait very stressful n the result was tough on our pockets. When the do contact you try have all tbis new evidence ready so it'll help you x 


Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.