backpayment — Scope | Disability forum
Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.


Georgeg93 Member Posts: 21 Connected
how fo i stop debt managment taking most of my back dated payment surley thay cant do that bad enough with my mental health issues they want to make me worse i have bills overdue and thibgs i owe they shouldnt be allowd to do that what can i do i am still waiting for my back dated pay they said about 4 weeks need help thanks 


  • BenefitsTrainingCo
    BenefitsTrainingCo Member Posts: 2,628 Pioneering

    Unfortunately debt management are able to recover some things from arrears payments of benefits, there is not much to be done about it.

    Sorry not to be the bearer of better news.

    The Benefits Training Co:
    Paul Bradley
    Michael Chambers
    Will Hadwen
    Sarah Hayle
    Maria Solomon
    David Stickland
  • Georgeg93
    Georgeg93 Member Posts: 21 Connected
    thry are taking more than half my back dated pay wich i need i owe rent arrears and other bills they wont take my mental health into acaunt what could i do
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Member Posts: 28,462 Disability Gamechanger
    Which benefit are debt management taking this from, ESA or PIP? 
  • Georgeg93
    Georgeg93 Member Posts: 21 Connected
    its pip they cant do that especially with the financial harship im in i owe bills and rent i said i would be happy to set up a payment plan thats what usually happens but because im getting this backdated payment that im owed they want to take more than half of it 
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Member Posts: 28,462 Disability Gamechanger
    As your PIP is classed as income for this type of thing, they can take it. You need to speak to them to tell them the financial hardship you're in at the moment and offer to pay it weekly or monthly through a payment plan.


Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.