Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Can we reapply for PIP?
hello I wonder if you could help...
I have a long story which involves my profoundly deaf 25 year old daughter who has learning disabilities.
She received DLA all her life and had to then apply for PIP last year.
I went with her and met a lovely doctor who was very kind to her - she cried all the way through the appointment as she hates any kind of assessment .She left school with no qualifications and a reading age of about 11 yrs - a significant inability to understand numeracy ie in the assessment was asked how much change she should expect from 1 pound if she spent 20p - she replied 5p!!
My daughter has been in many vulnerable situations particularly where money is concerned and is easily manipulated . Her speech is fairly poor and she finds difficulty expressing herself to strangers etc.
She was refused PIP and did not feel she could go through the appeal process. We supported this decision of course - however she is now working (to her absolute credit), and she has expressed a wish to try and live independently - she earns a very low wage and any small help benefits wise would enable her to try and live alone with our support.
So my question is - can we reapply ? we have never claimed for anything before and just need a little advice
- 55.2K All Categories
- 10.8K Start here and say hello!
- 5.3K Coffee lounge
- 4.1K Disability rights and campaigning
- 1.6K Research and opportunities
- 160 Community updates
- 12.3K Talk about your situation
- 1.8K Children, parents, and families
- 838 Work and employment
- 600 Education
- 1.2K Housing, transport, and independent living
- 1.1K Aids, adaptations, and equipment
- 302 Dating, sex, and relationships
- 269 Exercise and accessible facilities
- 22.3K Talk about money
- 2.3K Benefits and financial support
- 4.5K Employment and Support Allowance (ESA)
- 12.8K PIP, DLA, and AA
- 2.7K Universal Credit (UC)
- 4.2K Talk about your impairment
- 1.4K Cerebral palsy
- 704 Chronic pain and pain management
- 718 Rare, invisible, and undiagnosed conditions
- 773 Autism and neurodiversity
- 952 Mental health and wellbeing
- 314 Sensory impairments
Do you need advice on your energy costs?
Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.