Can we reapply for PIP? — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Can we reapply for PIP?

chesterboy2
chesterboy2 Community member Posts: 1 Listener
edited September 2018 in PIP, DLA, and AA

hello I wonder if you could help...

I have a long story which involves my profoundly deaf 25 year old daughter who has learning disabilities.

She received DLA all her life and had to then apply for PIP last year.

I went with her and met a lovely doctor who was very kind to her - she cried all the way through the appointment as she hates any kind of assessment .She left school with no qualifications and a reading age of about 11 yrs - a significant inability to understand numeracy ie in the assessment was asked how much change she should expect from 1 pound if she spent 20p - she replied 5p!!

My daughter has been in many vulnerable situations particularly where money is concerned and is easily manipulated . Her speech is fairly poor and she finds difficulty expressing herself to strangers etc.

She was refused PIP and did not feel she could go through the appeal process. We supported this decision of course - however she is now working (to her absolute credit), and she has expressed a wish to try and live independently - she earns a very low wage and any small help benefits wise would enable her to try and live alone with our support.

So my question is - can we reapply ? we have never claimed for anything before and just need a little advice

thankyou

Comments

• Ami2301
    Ami2301 Community member Posts: 7,942 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @chesterboy2
    Welcome to the community! You might like to look at the list of discussion boards as there are many that may benefit you such as:
    - Parents and cares - see if there are other parents have or are currently experiencing the same situation.
    - What benefits am I entitled to?
    - Employment
    - Housing and Independent Living
    - Learning difficulties
    Please don't hesitate to ask us anything :)
    Disability Gamechanger - 2019
  • Liam_Alumni
    Liam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 1,101 Pioneering
    edited September 2018
    Hi @chesterboy2,

Welcome to Scope's online community! It's great to have you on board. :)

Yes, you can re-apply for PIP. Our benefits advisors posted this on another discussion which I hope you might find useful:
    "You do not need to wait 12 months to reclaim PIP. However, if there is a short time between applications and there is no noticeable change in needs detailed on the new PIP application form, PIP may use the same medical information when first refusing your claim.  I would however not be put off by this, and I would keep in mind the rules of PIP when completing the new application."
    Best of luck with the new claim if you decide to reapply, and if you have any further questions, then please do get in touch!
    Liam
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,350 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi,

I would advise her to get some help when she does re-apply. Contacting your local welfare rights or other disability advice centre who can help with the process. PIP is all about how those conditions affect you daily and not about a diagnosis. 

She will need to send evidence to support her claim too because they very rarely contact anyone for evidence. 
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.

Brightness

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.