Turned down for the mobility part — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.

Turned down for the mobility part

tommy2k17 Member Posts: 28 Connected
I have got Cerebral Palsy. I have been awarded the Daily Living part of PIP but not the mobility part. I used to be able to walk a lot further than I can do now. I have told them I can walk between 50 and 200 yards. I can but I need to rest after about 5 minutes, and my friend has told me my walking has become progressively worse over the past few months. My good friend prepared an appeal (or whatever you call it!) and sent it to me:

Dear Sirs,

I am grateful and relieved that my application for continued disability allowance has been partially successful. However I am concerned that I have been refused any mobility allowance whatsoever and therefore wish to appeal the decision in this area.

Being nervous in my interview and looking at it in entirety I feel that I may not have given sufficient emphasis to the safety aspect of my mobility allowance application. You will see that the geography of the area where I live and that I can not drive determines that to reach the local station I have to walk up a steep hill and then along an unpaved busy road which is also unlit at night. To reach the bus stop or use local shops in the day I have to either use this same  road or an uneven footpath with stiles and an unmanned open railway crossing. This makes walking locally dangerous for me and I wish to live as independently as possible and not to have to ask people to give me lifts in their cars which severely restricts where I can go; additionally the availability of this option has declined sharply.

I would be grateful if you would kindly reconsider your decision taking these factors into account.

However, my sisters friend who works in a benefits office says that if I appeal, I could lose what I have got already!

Any advice?


Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.