Will my benefits change? — Scope | Disability forum
Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.

Will my benefits change?

joannie18 Member Posts: 2 Listener
Hi im 63 almost and on lower pip and esa in my area of birmingham universal credit is being rolled out i also get housing benefit  although i live on my own and have 2 bedroom flat for which i pay for the 2nd bedroom will my money change ?


  • thespiceman
    thespiceman Member Posts: 6,389 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello @joannie18 Pleased to meet you welcome.

    Thank you for joining and thank you for sharing.

    I am unsure regarding Universal Credit. Benefits are complex and confusing.

    I am sure a member of our team or a member of our community will advise.

    Please can I suggest have a look at the benefit advice and information. Speak to CAB .

    They may be able to advise.

    We are a supportive community. Friendly, care and share.

    Hope that helps.

    Please ask if we can help with anything. Some one will know.

    Please take care

    Community Champion
    SCOPE Volunteer Award Engaging Communities 2019
    Mental Health advice, guidance and information to all members
    Nutrition, Diet, Wellbeing, Addiction.
  • Ami2301
    Ami2301 Community Co-Production Group Posts: 7,946 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @joannie18
    Welcome to the community'! Unfortunately I am unable to advise too, as @thespiceman said, another member will be along shortly to advise you :)
    Disability Gamechanger - 2019
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Scope Posts: 10,557 Disability Gamechanger
    Welcome to the community @joannie18 :)
    Unfortunately I do not know the answers to your question but I will move the discussion to the benefit section and I hope this will help!

  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Member Posts: 28,374 Disability Gamechanger
    When your area becomes a full UC area you won't be asked to transfer across unless a change of circumstances mean you have to apply..for example, you move house to a different local council.

    Managed migration won't start until 2019 but it will be much later than that for a lot of areas (possibly a few years after that) so your money will stay the same and you will stay on ESA for now.

  • joannie18
    joannie18 Member Posts: 2 Listener
  • BenefitsTrainingCo
    BenefitsTrainingCo Member Posts: 2,628 Pioneering
    Hello joannie18

    Unless you make a new claim for benefit then you will remain on the same benefits until you are contacted by the DWP to transfer to UC.  This transfer process as Poppy says does not start until 2019 and will take around 3 years to complete. As such you may remain on the same benefits for the next 1-3 years. 

    It is important to stress that until you are contacted to transfer to UC it is only NEW claims and not a change of circumstances within your existing benefit claim that will trigger a UC claim. It can be difficult to know if a new claim has to be made or it is a change of circumstances as such if you are ever in this position I would seek advice.

    The Benefits Training Co:
    Paul Bradley
    Michael Chambers
    Will Hadwen
    Sarah Hayle
    Maria Solomon
    David Stickland
  • Topkitten
    Topkitten Member Posts: 1,285 Pioneering
    I am still confused by the whole idea of UC as it has so many problems and I have no idea how to find out when it will be rolled out in my area, or is that an if rather than a when?

    "I'm on the wrong side of heaven and the righteous side of hell" - from Wrong side of heaven by Five Finger Death Punch.
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Member Posts: 28,374 Disability Gamechanger
    Topkitten said:
    I am still confused by the whole idea of UC as it has so many problems and I have no idea how to find out when it will be rolled out in my area, or is that an if rather than a when?

    It's a when not an if, unfortunately. Pop your postcode in here. http://ucpostcode.entitledto.co.uk/ucdate
    Those already on the old benefits won't be asked to move across until 2019 but could possibly be a few years after that, providing a change of circumstance doesn't prompt a move in the meantime.


Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.