I FEEL WE NEED STOP CUT BACK — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

I FEEL WE NEED STOP CUT BACK

Options
Bazalad
Bazalad Community member Posts: 21 Connected
My name is Barry Smith and I am 39 years old. I have cerebral palsy which is a phyiscal disability and I have jumping movements, today I went to the podiatrist to get my toenails cut they told me we dont do it now because of cut backs, your PAS should be doing it now. I personal feel PAS aren't train in this and could hurt disabled people liked me, I would liked to know my rights as a disabled, non verbal person.
I feel discriminated against with my fellow disabled friends
I PERSONAL FEEL THIS GOVMENT DONT UNDERSTAND

Comments

• newborn
    newborn Community member Posts: 832 Pioneering
    Options
    Not just this one, it is all of them.   Sitting in palaces (palaces!) of Westminster,  deciding to spend multi billions of taxpayer resources on this or that stupid scheme,  but nothing for those most  in need.    They just don't ' get it'. 

Sadly, there's  no way to change anything.   Voting is in safe seats for most people, so votes don't count.  But in any case, the only replacement for one ignorant smug idiot politician is yet another one,  virtually identical, but wearing a different colour rosette.
  • Jean_OT
    Jean_OT Community member Posts: 513 Pioneering
    Options

Hi @Bazalad

As an Occupational Therapist I can't claim to have any expertise with podiatry but as you have posted in my section of the Scope community I will try to address the issues that your post raises. 

Since April 1 2013, clinical commissioning groups (CCGs) were given the power to decide what footcare services to commission for their local area.

Guidance by the National Institute for Health and Care Excellence (NICE) recommends that footcare services related to long-term conditions such as diabetes, peripheral arterial disease and rheumatoid arthritis should be available on the NHS.

However, there is no NICE guidance for foot health provision that is not associated with a long-term condition. This means that each individual CCG will decide on what to make available on the NHS, depending on local need.

If a condition is not affecting a persons health or mobility – such as a verruca that looks ugly, but doesn’t hurt when they walk – then they are unlikely to be eligible for NHS podiatry.

If you need to check out the rules of your CCG you can find out who they are at: https://www.nhs.uk/Service-Search/Clinical-Commissioning-Group/LocationSearch/1

If you think that you should be getting NHS podiatry according to your local rules contact your GP to see if they agree and are willing to re-refer you.

Best Wishes

Jean

Jean Merrilees BSc MRCOT

You can read more of my posts at: https://community.scope.org.uk/categories/ask-an-occupational-therapist

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.