What advice would you now give your younger-self? - Page 2 — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

What advice would you now give your younger-self?

Options
2»

Comments

• Anderson
    Anderson Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    Options
    Hello everyone , I would party less and have gone to Art college despite my mother .
  • Pippa_Alumni
    Pippa_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,793 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Welcome to the community, @Anderson!
  • Anderson
    Anderson Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    Options
  • AmyVW
    AmyVW Community member Posts: 10 Connected
    Options
    My advice would be -
    •  Being 'normal' is underated 
    • You will have friends, you will make friends and those friendships will last
    • You will do well in education
    • you will find your place in the world
    • You will go to university and get a degree
    • You just need to patient and in time you will be able to make some amazing memories
    • You will explore the world, not just be stuck in your town
    • You will get a job 
    • Seeing the world in a different way is amazing 
    • You might be rubbish a playing sports or riding bike but you can speak in front of a large audience
    • You arent the only one who has dyspraxia
    • You will have the most amazing life - travelling to meet some very famous friends, meeting new friends, gaining a degree, Chair of an award wining  social enterprise and attend the Royal Wedding

I mean some days I think how am I still going but I look back to how far I have came in 26 years and all the things i have achieved.

Amy 
    *Its all about seeing the ABILITY within the disABILITY*
    *People who are different their time is coming* Tracy Turnblad - Hairspray 
  • Sue52
    Sue52 Community member Posts: 78 Courageous
    Options
    Hello eveyone , not been on here for a while due to personal circumstances. 
    The advice I would give to my younger self ( I have sero negative arthritis, osteoporosis. 
    Do not knock yourself out in a job that pays good money but takes everything out of you.......... Take a role that you can easily cope with. Take things easy on yourself 
    xxx
  • DylanEvans
    DylanEvans Community member Posts: 25 Courageous
    Options
    Prioritise. I spent a lot of time trying to maintain the status quo (walking, mostly) to the detriment of my quality of life. Also spent a lot of energy trying to do silly things like laundry independently when there was no need.

For other people, walking or doing the laundry might be really important. I just try to think about what is actually important to me when my disabilities prevent me from doing it all, rather than maintaining a suboptimal status quo.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.