Military interest trips — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Military interest trips

Options
hazdog
hazdog Community member Posts: 3 Listener
Hi - I'm new to this forum, but haven't been able to find answers online elsewhere.

I volunteer as a citizen's advocate for a mentally handicapped gentleman, with slight mobility issues.

He has a huge interest in the military, and loves to visit military museums across the country - often asking me to accompany him, which I do when able.

However, due to the nature of my job and family, I am unable to accompany him (or afford the travel) for longer, full-day trips - for example to Nottingham and London (we are based in Cardiff).

I was wondering if there are any community groups or charities which run these sort of trips at all? I know many people are interested in military history etc.

Many thanks for any help anyone is able to give!

Hazdog x

Comments

• Ami2301
    Ami2301 Community member Posts: 7,942 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @hazdog
    Welcome to the community! I am unsure but another member of the community may know and will be in contact with you soon to answer your query :)
    Disability Gamechanger - 2019
  • Pippa_Alumni
    Pippa_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,793 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @hazdog, and welcome! 

I've just been looking into this and whilst there isn't anything specific for military history that I can find currently, I did come across Daytrippers Foundation. It might be worth getting in touch with them- even if they can't assist themselves, they may know of another organisation who can. Best of luck, and do keep us updated!
  • hazdog
    Options
    Thanks Pippa, that's really helpful! :)
  • atlas46
    atlas46 Community member Posts: 826 Pioneering
    Options
    Hi @hazdog

A very warm welcome.

Thank you for the support you are giving to a vulnerable member of our society.

I am sure the Royal Brisish Legion, would want to assist, as indeed ex members of the military. I am sure if you contact your local branch for their guidance, in the first instance.

Please let us know if we can help further.
  • DavidJ
    DavidJ Community member Posts: 55 Pioneering
    Options
    Hi@hazdog
    I am ex military myself but many miles from Cardiff but I think I may have information you can use . There is a RBL office in Cardiff at 16-19 High St 
    CF10 1PT
    its open Mon-Fri 10 am to 4 pm
    I am sure they will be able to advise you.
    There is also the Legion helpline 
    0808 802 8080
    Give it a call 
    Good luck and greetings to your friend
  • Yadnad
    Yadnad Posts: 2,856 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    DavidJ said:
    Hi@hazdog
    I am ex military myself but many miles from Cardiff but I think I may have information you can use . There is a RBL office in Cardiff at 16-19 High St 
    CF10 1PT
    its open Mon-Fri 10 am to 4 pm
    I am sure they will be able to advise you.
    There is also the Legion helpline 
    0808 802 8080
    Give it a call 
    Good luck and greetings to your friend
    Not too sure if they accept visitors but the main RBL UK welfare office is also in Cardiff. The last time that I spoke to them (last year) I seem to remember them telling me that it isn't that far from where I was based at Maindy Barracks back in the late 60's early 70's with the TAVR.
  • hazdog
    Options
    Great info - many thanks both. I will check it out and let you know!

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.