Military interest trips — Scope | Disability forum
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Military interest trips

hazdog
hazdog Community member Posts: 3 Listener
Hi - I'm new to this forum, but haven't been able to find answers online elsewhere.

I volunteer as a citizen's advocate for a mentally handicapped gentleman, with slight mobility issues.

He has a huge interest in the military, and loves to visit military museums across the country - often asking me to accompany him, which I do when able.

However, due to the nature of my job and family, I am unable to accompany him (or afford the travel) for longer, full-day trips - for example to Nottingham and London (we are based in Cardiff).

I was wondering if there are any community groups or charities which run these sort of trips at all? I know many people are interested in military history etc.

Many thanks for any help anyone is able to give!

Hazdog x

Comments

• Ami2301
    Ami2301 Community member Posts: 7,942 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @hazdog
    Welcome to the community! I am unsure but another member of the community may know and will be in contact with you soon to answer your query :)
    Disability Gamechanger - 2019
  • Pippa_Alumni
    Pippa_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,793 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @hazdog, and welcome! 

I've just been looking into this and whilst there isn't anything specific for military history that I can find currently, I did come across Daytrippers Foundation. It might be worth getting in touch with them- even if they can't assist themselves, they may know of another organisation who can. Best of luck, and do keep us updated!
  • hazdog
    Thanks Pippa, that's really helpful! :)
  • atlas46
    atlas46 Community member Posts: 826 Pioneering
    Hi @hazdog

A very warm welcome.

Thank you for the support you are giving to a vulnerable member of our society.

I am sure the Royal Brisish Legion, would want to assist, as indeed ex members of the military. I am sure if you contact your local branch for their guidance, in the first instance.

Please let us know if we can help further.
  • DavidJ
    DavidJ Community member Posts: 55 Pioneering
    Hi@hazdog
    I am ex military myself but many miles from Cardiff but I think I may have information you can use . There is a RBL office in Cardiff at 16-19 High St 
    CF10 1PT
    its open Mon-Fri 10 am to 4 pm
    I am sure they will be able to advise you.
    There is also the Legion helpline 
    0808 802 8080
    Give it a call 
    Good luck and greetings to your friend
  • Yadnad
    Yadnad Posts: 2,856 Disability Gamechanger
    DavidJ said:
    Hi@hazdog
    I am ex military myself but many miles from Cardiff but I think I may have information you can use . There is a RBL office in Cardiff at 16-19 High St 
    CF10 1PT
    its open Mon-Fri 10 am to 4 pm
    I am sure they will be able to advise you.
    There is also the Legion helpline 
    0808 802 8080
    Give it a call 
    Good luck and greetings to your friend
    Not too sure if they accept visitors but the main RBL UK welfare office is also in Cardiff. The last time that I spoke to them (last year) I seem to remember them telling me that it isn't that far from where I was based at Maindy Barracks back in the late 60's early 70's with the TAVR.
  • hazdog
    Great info - many thanks both. I will check it out and let you know!

Brightness