Inheritance — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.


hi folks, I’ve been on ESA for many years. My dad passed at beginning of year and I’m just about to receive inheritance money. I’ve been told over £16,000 my ESA will stop and I have to tell them everything I spend. Then today someone asked me what kind of ESA I’m on, I dug out a letter which says contribution based so they said inheritance money won’t affect it. I’m so confused and have attached the letter to see if anyone can clarify for me, sorry for long post.


  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Member Posts: 31,253 Disability Gamechanger

    Yes you're claiming Contributions based ESA and savings/capital aren't affected by this. However, if you claiming housing benefit or council tax reduction then these will be affected by savings/capital and the same rules apply, any savings over £16,000 and your housing benefit and council tax reduction will stop. You need to report any changes to your local council.
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Member Posts: 31,253 Disability Gamechanger
    Unless of course your ESA money has changed since April and you now claim extra money for the Income related top up. I see that letter is changes up until 10th April 2018.
  • celt34
    celt34 Member Posts: 2 Listener
    Thank you, I just found a more recent letter and it says the same so I’ll phone next week as I’m still supposed to inform them ?


Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.