Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Can my housing association take my mobility scooter and destroy it ?
When I signed my tenancy and moved into my flat I informed them I had a mobility scooter as well as my wheelchair and two elbow crutches I asked if that was going to be an issue they said no although on my tenancy agreement it does state nothing should be left in the communal areas I have nowhere to store my mobility scooter so it has been in the communal hallway since November 2015 , someone from the housing association asked me if that was my bike I told them it isn’t a bike it is a mobility scooter they said at the moment isn’t an issue but they wanted me to have an occupational therapy assessment to prove that I needed the scooter and then they might consider erecting a wooden structure or shed in English LOL . I had the OT assessment and she said of course I need to mobility scooter and she said it was impossible to keep in my one-bedroom flat as there is no room and it would be a fire hazard to me but my housing association put a notice on the mobility scooter on 12th September saying if it is still in the communal area by Monday, the 17th of September 2018It will be treated as abandoned and they will take it away and destroy it I don’t know how I stand legally because I have already asked their permission in writing to erect a shed,
- 53.1K All Categories
- 10.4K Start here and say hello!
- 4.8K Coffee lounge
- 4K Disability rights and campaigning
- 1.5K Research and opportunities to get involved in
- 149 Community updates
- 12K Talk about your situation
- 1.8K Children, parents, and families
- 762 Work and employment
- 578 Education
- 1.1K Housing, transport, and independent living
- 1K Aids, adaptations, and equipment
- 277 Dating, sex, and relationships
- 264 Exercise and accessible facilities
- 21.2K Talk about money
- 2.1K Benefits and financial support
- 4.4K Employment and Support Allowance (ESA)
- 12.3K PIP, DLA, and AA
- 2.5K Universal Credit (UC)
- 4K Talk about your impairment
- 1.3K Cerebral palsy
- 676 Chronic pain and pain management
- 700 Rare, invisible, and undiagnosed conditions
- 751 Autism and neurodiversity
- 929 Mental health and wellbeing
- 298 Sensory impairments
Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.