More worried than ever...... — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

More worried than ever......

Topkitten
Topkitten Community member Posts: 1,285 Pioneering
edited September 2018 in PIP, DLA, and AA
My last communication regarding my PIP to DLA changeover was on June 21st. A text telling me my application was received. Last Friday, having heard nothing for 12 weeks or so, I got a telephone call arranging to come to my home for a f2f today. Having worried all weekend she turned up early, seemed to have no medical ideas much and it seemed to go well except that I did most of the talking. I somehow doubt that my oh so unique and unheard of problems could go through so simply so now I am assuming it will all go wrong. She left saying I should hear in 4 weeks or less. I was left suffering, which should have been obvious to her, from trying to show her my lack of ability to move around much and do things without suffering, and stressing over and over that the suffering would go on long after she was gone. I got no impression she understood what I meant.

So, assuming the 4 weeks is accurate, I now have some major problems. I am housebound but somehow I have to go into town to a Building Society and move the bulk of my savings into my current account. I have to then make sure I have some cash at home. Then I have to clear out my car ready for it to go back which it will really have to do regardless of whether I get PIP or not, moving a seat back into the car and taking out a wheelchair, electric scooter and various bits and pieces that accumulated. Even if I decided to keep a car I would have to change it in a couple of months anyway and the cost of the car, hoist and fitting is just too much for something I cannot use except maybe once every couple of months until next year at the earliest and that assumes things go well.

As I cannot use taxi's without going into panic attacks I have no idea how I will move into an accessible property once it all gets sorted sometime next year.

And all this is assuming it goes well and I get the choice which, from other stories, I sincerely doubt.

My anxiety always makes me talk to much trying to cope. Why oh why did I do so much talking?

TK
"I'm on the wrong side of heaven and the righteous side of hell" - from Wrong side of heaven by Five Finger Death Punch.

Comments

• sophialob
    sophialob Community member Posts: 61 Courageous
    Hi @Topkitten. Welcome to the community! I'm so sorry to hear about how you are feeling; as someone who suffers from anxiety it really is horrible and can make you feel totally overwhelmed. Sometimes the brain doesn't know when to shut up and keeps telling you negative thoughts! I'm afraid I don't know what to suggest to help but I'm sure someone on here will have some better advice. All I can say is try not to let your anxiety take hold of you, the mind is a sneaky thing and will make you feel a lot worse about the situation before it's even happened. Everything will work out okay! I believe in you :smile:
  • BenefitsTrainingCo
    BenefitsTrainingCo Community member Posts: 2,621 Pioneering
    Topkitten,

As you don't have a decision at the moment it's difficult to advise but try not to worry - whatever happens, it probably won't relate much to what you said or didn't say and will be much more down to the assessor not understanding much about medical conditions, as you noticed.

You seem to have decided it's not worth keeping the car whatever happens, which I understand, but do bear in mind that if you don't get the PIP enhanced mobility component you need for Motability, there is a transitional scheme which allows you to keep it for a bit longer - so you may not have to rush.

Other than that, remember that you have lots of support here and that if you don't get the right result, there are lots of people who have been through it and can advise you about your next steps.

I'm sorry you found it difficult to get your suffering and anxiety about suffering across to the assessor, but it's definitely not your fault - if the assessors were any good they would be able to pick up on all of this.

Fingers crossed for a better outcome, let's see what happens.

Will
    The Benefits Training Co:

• Yadnad
    Yadnad Posts: 2,856 Disability Gamechanger
    Topkitten,

if the assessors were any good they would be able to pick up on all of this.

I agree that if the assessors were as good as the DWP make out they are then the number of appeals would drop dramatically and the number of claimants being given the correct award would rise the in the same way.

• Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Posts: 10,586 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Topkitten, I am sorry to hear that the decision is causing you so much worry. I hope things go in your favour. Is there anyone that you could ask to help with the bank and car situation? Fingers crossed for you!
    Scope

• debbiedo49
    debbiedo49 Community member Posts: 2,904 Disability Gamechanger

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.