Can I stop work and claim? — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.

Can I stop work and claim?

cats693 Member Posts: 17 Connected
edited September 2018 in Work and employment
 I'm 63 next April, i have managed to work for the NHS as a GP receptionist for the past 17 years, i have Fibromyalgia, Cyclothimia and Agoraphobia. I have been hanging on and hanging on trying to cope, but i feel thats if i carry on working uunnde so much pressure it will top me over the egde. With the new disability law of late, I'm feeling pretty scared to stop work and claim. Is there any where or any one i can speak to with regards to this.  Jan


  • sarah81
    sarah81 Member Posts: 4 Listener
    Hi i am only 36 i have fibro,mental health and endometriosis.I bared the pain for 2 years then i had to give up my job as a support worker for adults with autism which made me sink into a dark place as i worked so hard  to pass exams to administer meds and key worker.I feel your pain x
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Scope Posts: 10,545 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @cats693 and welcome to the community! I will move your thread into the employment and I hope people can help :)

  • Topkitten
    Topkitten Member Posts: 1,285 Pioneering
    I had already stopped work when I first began claiming for health problems having undergone surgery which didn't get me as healthy as they had hoped. I haven't worked since but have gone through many situations since. I stopped work at my employers request as I was becoming more of a hindrance than a help.

    "I'm on the wrong side of heaven and the righteous side of hell" - from Wrong side of heaven by Five Finger Death Punch.
  • debbiedo49
    debbiedo49 Member Posts: 2,904 Disability Gamechanger
    Yeah. I have fibro and agorophobia too and I believe you should get help did to your disabilities to either remain in your job or decrease your hours with adjustments or to take absence leave to get some recovery time and have time to seek proper advice. Through work this may come after you have been absent due to poor health and you may be referred to o h. Perhaps you should speak to your union rep or cab for impartial advice? I didn’t speak to my manager about my conditions until I really had to and it turns out she was good about it and supportive. She takes advice from h r regarding making reasonable adjustments for me. I only work part time but it’s enough for me to manage my health and not over do things. Good luck. 
  • cats693
    cats693 Member Posts: 17 Connected
    Thanks for advice Debbie, I do work pt, but even those hours are too much now. So many new changes and not enough head space to store all the new stuff my stuff and everthing else, i feel i cant work any more, im done.?
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Member Posts: 31,239 Disability Gamechanger
    SSP is payable for 28 weeks with a fit/sick note before you can claim ESA. A few weeks before this ends your employer will give you the SSP1 form, which you'll need to claim Contributions based ESA. See link for SSP details.

  • welshbirdne
    welshbirdne Member Posts: 24 Listener
    You can go onto ESA after 13 weeks I think. But obviously you have to put the sick notes in. Contributions claim means you have more than 16 grand. On income related you can get warm home payments etc.
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Member Posts: 31,239 Disability Gamechanger
    You can go onto ESA after 13 weeks I think.
    This is not correct. SSP is payable for 28 weeks.
  • cats693
    cats693 Member Posts: 17 Connected
    What happens after 28 weeks?
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Member Posts: 31,239 Disability Gamechanger
    On or before the beginning of the 23rd week of SSP you're employer will give you the SSP1 form. You can then start a claim for Contributions based ESA, you won't get any money from ESA until your SSP has ended at 28 weeks but starting the claim once you have the SSP1 form will save claiming once it's finished. It takes a few weeks for ESA to be claimed. If you wait until SSP has finished you'll be a few weeks without money. All details needed are in the following link. Please take a look.


Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.