Told I can't claim PIP for two years after living abroad — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.

Told I can't claim PIP for two years after living abroad

madcat1966 Member Posts: 5 Listener
edited October 2018 in PIP, DLA, and AA
i was involved in a hit and run whilst training (5 mile daily run) for the 200 meters, the drive just left me on the road, a farmer found me and called 999. Since 16, my spine has been awful, both lumbar and cervical region ops. Life could have been taken when I was 16, but I am still alive and kicking. I’m a very positive person, I smile thru my pain (mainly nerve damage).i sometimes feel isolated with my pain, even though friends and family are supportive, but I feel lonely with my pain, love to speak to folks in my position x


  • Ami2301
    Ami2301 Member, Community Co-Production Group Posts: 7,945 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @madcat1966
    Welcome to the community! Sorry for what happened to you, I too have nerve damage from falling down a flight of stairs during secondary school. I do have flare ups of pain in the lumbar area. Many members of the community suffer with nerve damage and I'm sure they will be more than happy to get in contact to offer support. Please let us know if there is anything that we can help you with! :)
    Disability Gamechanger - 2019
  • madcat1966
    madcat1966 Member Posts: 5 Listener
    Well after living in Switzerland (cause my hubby got a job their due to the economic downturn in 2008), I returned to be told I could not claim PIP for 2 years?!?! Before I left I was on DLA awarded for life?!?! I was born in Cheshire, im a British citizen, do you think this is unfair? Anyway now been in UK 2 years on 1st October and I’m a bit scarred of completing the PIP form, any advice?!? Thanks Ami2301 xx
  • thespiceman
    thespiceman Member Posts: 6,389 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello @madcat1966   Pleased to meet you welcome. Thank you for joining and sharing a positive post.

    I would like to say please contact CAB for advice, and information completing the PIP form. You will get as you should have a booklet . Describing what you need to put into the form.

    I would suggest have a look at our information on PIP. Plus speak to CAB to help you to fill the form in.

    Understand I consider myself a smart intelligent gent with disability and mental health. Yet even myself get confused and consider using people to help me.

    Have used health and support workers as well. I always now speak to CAB make an appointment since the loss of support for mental health.

    Spent two hours one day with them learnt a lot from the two ladies who assisted me in filling in the form. Which they simply did for me. Instead of myself.

    You want the right support, advice and information. This community can help with any of that.

    Wish you the best and success in your journey. We are here anytime to chat, talk be supportive. Offer words of comfort and ready to listen. Ask the community anything some one will know.

    Pleasure to meet you.

    Take care


    Community Champion
    SCOPE Volunteer Award Engaging Communities 2019
    Mental Health advice, guidance and information to all members
    Nutrition, Diet, Wellbeing, Addiction.
  • Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,673 Disability Gamechanger


Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.