Should I be looking for work while claiming UC? — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.

Should I be looking for work while claiming UC?

Seamus Member Posts: 1 Listener
edited October 2018 in Universal Credit (UC)
Hi. Could someone tell me if you still have to look for work or go to college while claiming Universal credit. A sicknote has been supplied saying unfit for work? Thanks in advance.


  • thespiceman
    thespiceman Member Posts: 6,389 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello @Seamus Pleased to meet you welcome. Thank you for joining and sharing.

    I am unsure of an answer to your question.  Some one will know from our community or team.  Be able to answer.

    I am one of the community champions on the forum. Wanted to welcome you and give you guidance and advice if I can.

    We are a supportive, friendly community. Care and share.

    Plenty of information, advice and new friends.

    Please ask if we can help some one will know.

    Please take care.

    Community Champion
    SCOPE Volunteer Award Engaging Communities 2019
    Mental Health advice, guidance and information to all members
    Nutrition, Diet, Wellbeing, Addiction.
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Member Posts: 31,451 Disability Gamechanger

    This will totally depend on your job coach. Some will make you job search still for a certain number or hours per week. If you're having issues completing the job searches per week then you should speak to your job coach. A fit note for UC doesn't automatically excuse you from the job searches unfortunately.
  • Pippa_Alumni
    Pippa_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,793 Disability Gamechanger
    Welcome to the community, @Seamus! This Turn2Us page on UC and working may also be worth a read.


Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.