Do I inform pip of medical changes? — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Do I inform pip of medical changes?

coralqueen
coralqueen Community member Posts: 3 Listener
edited October 2018 in PIP, DLA, and AA
Hello. I have been on pip a few years now. In the last 6 months to year my pain in many areas has increased. Do I inform pip or just wait until next assessment. thanks

Comments

• markyboy
    markyboy Community member Posts: 367 Pioneering
    Unless your pain is going to affect your ability to carry out the descriptors and you are confident of getting more points  the answer is NO because you will be reassessed  and could end up with less and lose the award you are on now
  • Ami2301
    Ami2301 Community member Posts: 7,942 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @coralqueen welcome to the community!

The answers you gave the first time, and as your pain has worsened, has this led to you being more unable to do things?
    Disability Gamechanger - 2019
  • AlexandriaUK
    AlexandriaUK Community member Posts: 40 Courageous
    I agree with Mark is it so bad that it's effectively stopping you doing the majority of things you could do before, if not I would wait for the next assessment, how long away is it
  • Sam_Alumni
    Sam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,671 Disability Gamechanger
    Do you have any medical evidence of your pain and symptoms worsening?
    Scope
    Senior online community officer
  • Matilda
    Matilda Community member Posts: 2,593 Disability Gamechanger
    It's only appropriate to inform them if your ability to do things is worse, if this change has lasted at least three months and is expected to last at least another nine.

Reporting a change could trigger a reassessment.  People have reported a change for the worse, reported it, been reassessed - and lost points rather than gained them!
  • coralqueen
    Things have got worse drastically. Not sure how long for next assessment. Thanks everyone.
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,352 Disability Gamechanger
    Things have got worse drastically. Not sure how long for next assessment. Thanks everyone.
    Hi,

They may have got worse but you do need to get expert advice before reporting any changes. A worsening of condition doesn't mean you'll be awarded more points for a higher award. Check your award letter to see when your review is.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • coralqueen

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.