Employment and Support Allowance (ESA)
If this is your first visit, check out the community guide. You will have to Join us or Sign in before you can post.

Never recieved Severe disability premium

Heidi415Heidi415 Member Posts: 32 Courageous
Whilst looking online for information regarding PIP I have come across something called Severe Disability Premium. I qualified because I am on ESA support group and receive PIP daily care component. I have never heard of this before. I no longer qualify for this because my sister (Works full time/ never claimed anything) moved in with me last october. However there was a period of at least 2 years between 2015 and 2017 where I was classed as living alone (My mum is/was receiving a qualifying benefit). My question is can and how would I go about claiming this back?  

Replies

• Sam_AlumniSam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,731 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Heidi415
    On the gov website it says:
    You do not have to claim disability premium. If you’re eligible, it’s automatically added to your:
    • Income Support
    • Jobseeker’s Allowance (JSA)
    • Employment and Support Allowance (ESA)
    • housing benefit
    Contact your local Jobcentre Plus if it has not been paid.
    Scope
    Senior online community officer
  • poppy123456poppy123456 Member Posts: 22,218 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi,

Severe disability premium is not automatically awarded because of the criteria.

What qualifying benefit was your mum receiving when you lived with her and was there anyone else living in the house with you? Maybe your father or mothers partner?
    Proud winner of the 2019 empowering others award. This award was given for supporting disabled people and their families for the benefit advice I have given to members here on the community.
  • Sam_AlumniSam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,731 Disability Gamechanger
  • Heidi415Heidi415 Member Posts: 32 Courageous
    Hi thank you both for responding. @poppy123456 My mum is on ESA income related support group and receives pip standard daily care for bipolar disorder. Nobody other than me and my mum lived at the property from October 2015 until October 2017. My sister moved into her own property with her partner but this didn't work out so she came back home. My mum informed the council of these change in circumstances as they happened so she didn't get into trouble with housing benefit ect.
    If you were receiving Income Related ESA at that time then you should have both claimed the SDP on top of your ESA. You'll need to ring ESA and ask if you can make a backdated claim for this between those 2 dates.

Your mum's housing benefit will never be affected by any non dependent deductions because she's in receipt of PIP and your sister or anyone else living with her won't affect the amount of housing benefit she can claim.
    Proud winner of the 2019 empowering others award. This award was given for supporting disabled people and their families for the benefit advice I have given to members here on the community.
    Thank you @poppy123456 Your insight and advice is invaluable and I am really pleased I have discovered this website and community. Am I legally allowed to ask for them to make a backdated claim and would it kick-start the ESA assessments all over again? I really cannot deal with them as well as waiting for my PIP renewal. 
    One question i didn't ask you...was anyone claiming Carers allowance for looking after you during those dates? If they were then you wouldn't have been entitled to the SDP.

If not then i see no reasons why you won't be backdated the money for SDP during those times. You will of course have to prove you were entitled to it. It won't kick start a reassessment but do remember that for ESA they can reassess you at anytime.
  • Lacey1Lacey1 Member Posts: 3 Listener
    Hi my husband has been diagnosed with terminal cancer, he had to go on universal credit in February 2018, he has never received the severe disability I have asked and asked with no response all they say is he is getting the right benefits all he gets is £601 a month is this right please 
    edited October 2018
    Lacey1 said:
    Hi my husband has been diagnosed with terminal cancer, he had to go on universal credit in February 2018, he has never received the severe disability I have asked and asked with no response all they say is he is getting the right benefits all he gets is £601 a month is this right please 
    Hi,
    I'm sorry to hear that! The severe disability premium isn't paid on Universal credit. Does he claim DLA or PIP?
    If the diagnosis, is 6 months or less (sorry to be straight to the point) please read this link as this will help you. https://www.mariecurie.org.uk/help/support/benefits-entitlements/living-with-terminal-illness/special-rules#

Thank you @poppy123456 for such a swift reply. Nobody claimed carers allowance for myself or my mum, not now or during the time I believe I ( and subsequently my mum based on your information) should have received the Severe Disability Premium. Everybody works full time and do not claim anything. Like I said I would never have realised until I was looking up delays to my PIP review. How would I go about asking them to revise/ review my/our ESA claim if that is even possible? Would the DWP even look at it because the criteria doesn't fit our circumstances now? Thank you 
    edited October 2018
    Not a problem. An astronomical amount of money goes unclaimed every year because people don't know what benefits they're entitled to and they're not informed about what they can claim. There's absolutely no reasons what so ever why ESA doesn't award you both the SDP backdated between those 2 dates only.

You would individually need to ring ESA and ask to claim the SDP dating back to those 2 dates, explain you were living with your mum (just the 2 of you) at that time and you were both claiming a qualifying benefit and should have been claiming this premium. The form is called IS10 and this can be filled in over the phone under normal circumstances but i think it will be better if you ask them to send you the form in the post. It's a very simple form, so please don't panic. Once it's filled in, add a cover letter to it, explaining you didn't know you could have claimed it at the time. State in the letter you would like to be awarded it between those dates and you'll need to put exact dates because they'll assess you between those dates. It's possible it may take several weeks or more, so be patient ;) This premium is £64.30 per week from April of this year but it will have been slightly less than that in previous years.

Hope this helps. Good luck. Please do come back and let me know how you got on.
    Hi @poppy123456 I contacted DWP regarding the severe disability premium and sent off the form with a letter explaining the situation last Monday. Today I should normally receive my ESA payment but it hasn't gone in to my bank. Do you think it is because of that or because I received my new PIP award on Saturday? I will phone them later when the phonelines aren't so busy, I just wanted to get an idea of what you think it could be. Thank you in advance 😃
    It could be either of those but sometimes a new award of a benefit can temporary stop a benefit you're already claiming. Give ESA a ring and they should make a same day payment of your ESA.
    Thank you very much poppy. You were right. It was because of my new PIP award. They paid it around lunch time.
  • LexiluhLexiluh Member Posts: 1 Listener
    Any word on this? In a similar situation myself. Did you get a backpayment for the severe disability premium in the end? :)
  • telscopetelscope Member Posts: 37 Connected
    Morning Heidi, Since I began claiming PIP the advice centre, who helped me with that, also helped me with mentioning about SDP. I applied for it & because of my success with my PIP claim I was entitled to SDP.
    Lexiluh said:
    Any word on this? In a similar situation myself. Did you get a backpayment for the severe disability premium in the end? :)
    SDP can be backdated to the date you qualified. A claim for this can take 3 weeks, sometimes longer.
  • telscopetelscope Member Posts: 37 Connected
    Lexiluh, I got awarded the backpay I was entitled to.
    Hi @Lexiluh I have not received a reply yet. I contacted the ESA helpline but the lady I spoke to wasn't very helpful. She was insistent that you had to live alone. I tried explaining about my mum receiving a qualifying benefit but she wouldn't except that.

Finally she begrudgingly agreed to send out the IS10 form which I filled in, including a cover letter explaining the situation, but that was over 12 weeks ago.

As @poppy123456 said previously you can complete the form over the phone. Hopefully you will get a better adviser when you contact them.
    edited January 2019
    @Heidi415 that's a long time not to have received a reply. Your mum receives either PIP daily living, DLA mid high rate care or attendance allowance yes? If so then you should ring ESA and ask for a case manager to ring you back regarding your SDP claim. Someone should then ring you within 48 hours.
    @poppy123456 My mum was receiving PIP daily living up until the end of October. She had to renew her claim not have a review because she was previously awarded it at a tribunal. This was delayed slightly because at first they tried to send her to a different county for her assessment which she absolutely could not attend.

She had a home assessment 9 weeks ago and is still waiting on the outcome. She phoned yesterday and it is still with the Case manager. If they go on what the assessor wrote, hopefully she will be maintaining her award. 

I was waiting on that before contacting ESA again about the Severe disability premium. I know we are not entitled at the moment because my sister still lives with us but she will be leaving again in about 6 weeks and hopefully by then my mum will have received her new PIP award. 

Will we then be entitled to the premium again? Thank you 

You will both be entitled to back dated to money for the times you qualified. Once your sister leaves you'll be able to claim it again.
    Thanks @poppy123456. I have found a copy of the form online. I think I am going to print two of those and send it again rather than trying to obtain another one from the ESA helpline.

Does it really only take around 3 weeks to sort out? I have been waiting over 12 so I think they must have lost it. I will keep sending it monthly if I have to. Thanks again 
    Under normal circumstances yes around 3 weeks. Your circumstances are different because you're not actually entitled to it at the moment. My advice is to ring ESA to ask what's happening about he SDP you applied for. At this rate, you could be going round in circles forever.
    Thank you @poppy123456 I shall contact them tomorrow. 
    Hi @poppy123456 They had received the form however someone made an incorrect decision initially. They said I wasn't entitled because I lived with my mum. They have reviewed this and changed the decision because my mum was claiming a qualifying benefit. I should receive the arrears in a few days.

I just want to thank you very much for all your help. You are brilliant and it would appear far more knowledgeable than the people who work for the DWP and with a greater understanding of the rules.

@Lexiluh don't give up. If you meet the qualifying conditions, I would persist with your claim. Good luck.
    @Heidi415 that's fantastic news! I'm so glad i was here to give you the correct advice!

Thank you for the kind words! Don't forget to re-claim the SDP for both of you once your sister moves out, a simple phone call to fill out the form and it's done. Should only take a few weeks for payments to start.

Enjoy the money when you receive it and treat yourself to something nice! :D
    Thanks again @poppy123456. It is only because I knew the information you gave was correct that I persisted with it. Thank you 😊
    You're welcome! :)
    Hi @poppy123456 My sister moved out last weekend and I just wanted to check before I apply if it is still possible to claim the severe disability premium in March 2019? Would this change force me on to universal credit? Thank you in advance 😊
    As long as you're claiming Income related ESA and no one claims carers allowance for looking after you then you can claim SDP.
    Thank you for your help again.
  • WaylayWaylay Member Posts: 922 Pioneering
    I did the same thing. Got 5600GBP a couple of weeks ago. :smiley:
  • Murphy1926Murphy1926 Member Posts: 36 Listener
    Hi I'm new to this site and wasent sure where to post but I see this is about sdp.so I hope you don't mind me asking.i get esa support group and dla higher mobility and low care.im 62 live alone and was going to move to sheltered accommodation and be near my son which is another authority. I been told I will lose money as I will be going on to universal credit.can anyone advise please.thank you.
Sign in or join us to comment.